HELP- A good m30 engine builder, stroker, performance etc.?

urotrash

Reaction score
I know this has probably been asked but i cant seem to find any info on it...
Can anyone recommend a good m30 (motronic) engine builder?
thx for your help, jim-

de coupe

Reaction score
Alot of places just wonder where you are located

Where are you located as it would help in you going look at the progress and being envolved in the build to a certain degree...

Thanks Daniel

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Jim,

Chris Keefer at La Jolla Independent BMW (Carl Nelson's shop in San Diego) did a carb to motronic conversion for me and I couldn't be happier. The engine is a 3.5L from a late 80's 7 series. I didn't want any other "upgrades" as I prefer more laid back driving. The only other builders I know are Metric Mechanic and Korman BMW, but I can't speak for their work.

good luck,

Walt

de coupe

Reaction score
Just a matter of opinion

I have had about four BMW engine's built "all of which are still running" a straight forward job. As far as performance upgrade I would look up Dyno Tech Motorsports in Oceanside, Ca "Jesse"(760)207-5392 I have personally seen his work all I can say it is excellent. Whatever you do decide M90, turbo, standalone, s38 they can do it and it cost's nothing to speak to someone about it before you venture into the build. The turbo e9 they built and the s38 conversion they have in a e9 is built the right way. I do know it is a little out of the way, but for the money I believe you will get the most bang for your buck with them.

Good luck in your build let me know if I can help in any way

Daniel

urotrash

Reaction score
I have had about four BMW engine's built "all of which are still running" a straight forward job. As far as performance upgrade I would look up Dyno Tech Motorsports in Oceanside, Ca "Jesse"(760)207-5392 I have personally seen his work all I can say it is excellent. Whatever you do decide M90, turbo, standalone, s38 they can do it and it cost's nothing to speak to someone about it before you venture into the build. The turbo e9 they built and the s38 conversion they have in a e9 is built the right way. I do know it is a little out of the way, but for the money I believe you will get the most bang for your buck with them.

Good luck in your build let me know if I can help in any way

Daniel

Daniel,

Thanks for the info! I just called jesse, and i was very impressed with his knowledge.. the guy knows his stuff! we talked about a n/a stroked motor with some good h/p.. i will keep you informed as to who i end up going with, but at this point jesse looks to be the strongest......
thanks again!

Jim-

shanon

Reaction score
If you care to venture a bit farther north, Terry Tinney in Livermore , CA builds an excellent motor and has a very solid reputation here in the Bay Area.

Good Luck and HTH.

-shanon

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Aside from the other recommendations I would speak with Murray Fowler in Costa Mesa...(he's also quoted in the La Jolla blog many times) Murray is an 80 year old with a few pristine CS coupes (he has logged over 450,000 miles in one coupe or another) and knows just about everyone involved in CS racing... and his own mechanic in OC according to him is a master...

Murray is getting along in age yes but is still very involved in the Coupe scene on the left coast...give him a call he's bound to talk your ear off.

I will PM you with his local number.

Ran

tturbo

Reaction score
E9 engine swap

Moved from an Alfa Romeo world to BMW, just finished my E9, pretty decent looking and a good restoration job, I truly love this car, but the 3.0 and the 4 speed is a complete turtle, this car deserve more. I have seen engines on sale just about everywhere, with miles running good, rebuilt and remanufactured from $400 to $3k, so I decided to install M30 from a 735 since I hear everyone says its an easy drop, and I also heard from 2 or 3 different people about La Jolla to do the sawp, the ultimate shock was when called Laholla and got a 20k + quatation to install 3.5 & 5 speed trans....oh my God, I was totally discoureged, is that normal? can anyone recommend a shop to do it at earthly cost? I know top job needs top money but seriously, come on, 20k????????wow. may be I'll drop in a chevy 350...........NOT:) just kidding guys, but seriously, 20k +? STOP IT....that will never happen.

I am definitely calling Jesse, will keep you posted, hope to find the answer I am looking for.

Last edited:

tmason

Reaction score
tturbo
I was wondering how much it would be to have that done! OUCH! That ain't going happen. I think I'll be doing that myself when this engine is gone.I'm collecting the parts to convert to a 5 speed and hoping to do it for 1500.00 or less?
Tim

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Carl, but 20k is more than a bit much. I did my swap for ~2k using a used 1988 735 engine + Motronic 1.3 + Getrag 265 + 3.45 side-loader LSD. The most difficult part to source was the 2002tii brake booster to clear the Motronic intake manifold. I think a large part of Carl's cost comes from using and modifying the L-Jet manifold to use the Motronic 1.3 system so the engine bay looks period correct.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Two words

Don Lawrence, aka sfdon on this board. I did a lot of research up front before installing my Euro 635 piano piston engine. Don knows his stuff and his prices were very good. Plus, he did the whole deal, from finding my motor, installing it and tuning it over its transition from Motronic 1.3 to Megasquirt which Don's partner, David, also had a lot to do with. To me he is the Obi-wan kenobi of BMW engines. Good luck.

gary bellamy

Reaction score
20k 3.5 install

Something is wrong with this price. I can get install engine and tranny
for 4grand.

Gbell:confused:

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Make sure you are comparing the same things. LaJolla's price probably includes all the work to take the old stuff out and put the new stuff in + changing/incorporating all the EFI components into the old car's systems. Ie, you drop your car off and then pick it up a few weeks later.

For reference I had a 1991 735i engine rebuilt in Seattle last year. Cost about $5,500. But I carted it the shop and picked it up. The full stock rebuild included new pistons, rings, reground crank & cam, ovaled crank oil ports, some minor porting, cleaning/painting, new seals/gaskets/chains/etc.

Consider all the labor of removing the old engine, buying a used engine, stripping the parts off, getting it rebuilt, then re-accessorizing it, re-installing, re-wiring, plumbing, EFI harness, buying used 5 spd, shortening driveshaft, replacing seals, etc... It adds up. It sounds like you will be doing that part yourself.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Some numbers to crunch for you... These are costs that I pay to do an engine.
Over $4,000 in parts before you even start to turn a wrench

Anybody with a $50,000 car isn't sticking a used beater motor into their car before heading to Monterey.

port and polish 1000

schrick cam and springs 700

rings 150

bearings 150

head prep 500

block prep 400

head gasket set 100

bottom/front/rear gasket set 100

chains, tensioner, gears 100

engine 400

wiring harness
afm
plug wires
tps
ecu
ICV
Sensors......

tturbo

Reaction score
contact #'s

Thank you guys, I really need to do engine and trans, 20k+ is not normal, and no the engine was not newly built, a "a good used engine and trans" that just did not sound right.

Kindly, can you provide me with phone #'s of Obi-Won :) and others, I would really appreciate this, and in California would even be better, I hate to ship my Gorgeous car and take a chance of getting it dinnged up.

So I assume an 88 735i is the best bet? what about the trans and differential? brakes?

thank you all E9 lovers.