help, carburetor floater valve washer

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
hi, here it comes a big question of a small part that may cause problems

the famous washer that sets the rigth position of the floater valve inside the carburetor

usually there is a choice between 1mm and 2mm washer, and there is usually not very clear if you have to use one or the other

i set a 1mm washer in my carburetors, but the iddle is not perfect, the transition, and full accel is good, but the iddle ...

some weeks ago i got a gasket set from "ruddies" in berlin, and in his gasket set it comes a floater valve (ball type) together with a 2mm thick washer

so i began questioning myself about this, and then i found this sentence in the blue manuals, chapter 13:

170120084252.jpg

what do you understand here ?

float needle valve with ball--------2.0 ?? and no units, so what does this mean ? 2 valves ? one in each carb ? does this make sense ?
the next line says:
float needle valve seal mm ------ 1.0

any opinions ?

my question is that provided there are valves with or without ball, could it be possible that if the valve is without ball then you must install a 1mm seal, and if the valve has ball you should install a 2mm seal ?

thank you

61porsche

Reaction score
The float valves

or inlet valves are of different lengths. Each type requires a corresponding gasket of differing thickness.

If your idle is at issue, it is likely slightly lean depending upon gas formulation. For instance, if your local fuel is blended with alcohol that represents a different gravity, burn, etc. of usually 10% than what the cars/ carbs were designed for back when new.

First make certain there are no air leaks. Not the large type, but small. Especially the screws holding down the first section.

For the advance carb tuner, there are two minor ways to alter the idle mixture absent Solex manufacturing new idle jets better suited for today's fuel:

1. The small opening in the casting on top and near the air correction jets is actually the air for the idle jet. One could alter that opening by making it smaller. This would enrich the idle mixture.

2. The linkage, the plastic part that sets the opening of the butterfly has a distinct length. Please notice that it has a star adjustment. By slightly closing that dimension ( One or two star tips) you have lessened the butterfly gap at the idle orfice and in turn created a richer condition.( Or maybe just eliminated 40 years of wear.?)

61porsche

Reaction score
The seal

refers to a type of inlet valve not seen much anymore- viton. A black hard rubber substance. What is more prevelant now is the ball type and the solid pin. Preferably use the ball type as it seems to seal better.

The seal type was a bit longer and required the thinner gasket.

Another way to measure float level is through the bowl vent using a plastic straw, ( plastic coffee stirrer) marked on top. By using the distance listed in the BMW suppliment, one could determine the level by comparison.

Once done, transfer the measurement to a straw again and you have a dipstick to check your fuel level just like your oil. Simple.