help! how to remove speedo gear?

couttsdesign

Reaction score
I can't get the speedometer drive gear off the output shaft of my original 4 speed transmission. Supposedly, it should just slide right off, as it is just press fit on the tranny output shaft. I've tried various lubricants, heat, a slide hammer...it won't budge. Any tips or tools that anyone can recommend? BTW, I need the gear for a 5 speed swap I'm currently working on.

Also, what's the best way to remove the rear crank oil seal? The seal looks tight and I don't want to damage anything while trying to remove it.

Any other tips or words of wisdom for this Getrag 265 5 speed swap would be greatly appreciated!

thanks-

oldcoupe

Reaction score
Speedo Gear

I couldn't get the gear off either and, because the donor four speed was gone (2nd gear synchro, one of the bearings), I took the box apart and used an old wood chisel with a heavy hammer on the line of the mating surface.

A bearing separator (if that's the right name for the tool) might get it started.

The part is shown as 23 22 1 490 119 at http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E...ssion/getrag_262_gear_wheel_set_single_parts/ for a mere $98

Carl's guide to the five speed conversion was my bible.

hans3

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rear crank seal pops right out with a seal puller (pry bar) or screw driver flat blade. Sears and Harbor Freight sell the seal puller/pry bar. Work the seal out around its entire circumference. If you need new seals, Timken publishes a catalog for 1989 and older cars; our E9s are listed with all the relevant seals and Timken part numbers one might need. Cheaper than Mobile-T. Search the Timken website for the catalog.