Help! Newbie just bought a junker.

sirswig

Reaction score
Hi guys from Utah. Yes Utah. I just bought a 1974 3.0 CS and it runs like crap. Im not too worried about that. Im more worried about the rust in the trunk and under the car. There are a few rust bubbles in the paint and has a crap installed sunroof. What I am starting on is the bumpers. They are the retarded American hulks. I managed to take off the front one only to find 2" wide metal rods sticking 8+ inches out of the front impossibly bolted to the frame inside where the engine is. In other words I dont see how to get it off other than taking out the engine. Not to mention whoever installed the American bumpers (dealer Im sure) used a crap-ass hacksaw job and over-cut the plastic chin spoiler horribly on both holes.

The rear is about the same and probably even welded to the frame. Oh and where you euro version guys have little holes for your euro bumpers I have about 2 exhaust sized holes out the rear and 6"x4" rectangles cut out of the front. Nice to know America versions are so annoying. You guys have any info if you happen to have done a conversion?

-Jared

Malc

Reaction score
Welcome Jared,
From your post it would sound like your 3.0CS is a personal import that has been "federalised" by a 3rd party rather than BMW.
European front bumpers use flat shaped steel brackets about 2inches wide that attach to the forward chassis legs with captive bolts on the wheel well side .

The European rears bolt on through the rear panel and on each side just behind the rear arches. The rear bumper usually has small "overriders" below the bumper.
You might be in for some work with an angle grinder and a welder to change from your impact bumpers......

As to rust well they all do that sir! Most panels are available either as pattern or BMW original but the most important bit to check/repair is the sill structure (rockers) otherwise the car will fold up in half. Rust appearing on the outside usually indicates lots on the inside!
You can eleminate the sunroof by reskinning the room, Gazzol on this forum did that with a 2nd hand roof panel. He posted pictures showing the work.

Mechanically they are pretty simple and reliable. Once set up correctly the engine should run sweetly. You must keep the cooling system in good shape, changing the coolant once every couple of years as the system is marginal. There are several on the board who are experts with carbs, the D-jet fuel injection and uprating the cooling system.

Transmission wise the 4 speed box is pretty bulletproof. The only thing to watch for is the Gubo rubber donut at the rear of the box to the prop shaft breaking up. I don't know about the Auto box.
"Sloppy" suspension is usually down to worn or perished bushes, brakes are more than up to the job if the system is well maintained.

The E9 is a demanding mistress, but with time effort and of course money you will be well rewarded. (I think)
I hope that the forum can provide you with answers and help. Any more questions? Just Ask!
Cheers
Malc