Help please - intermittent power loss

E9KNZ047

Reaction score
This may be a problem someone has encountered before and would be grateful for advice on any potential causes
When the car is warm/hot either in traffic or on the open road she loses power completely for a split second and then recovers. Tacho drops to zero and then engine recovers and away we go . Will happen in any gear at any speed but only when car is at warm to hot. Problem has just appeared after a 5 speed went in 2 weeks ago - maybe related or a coincidence. Other 'relevant' info
- zeniths rebuilt 2 years ago - have been reliable as much as zenith can be
- upgraded to electronic ignition (Crane cams) plus dizzy rebuild 1 year ago
- new fuel pump - 1 year ago
- new larger prrogression idlel jets last week
- new sports coil today
- 1 large bottle of bourbon tonight to alleviate fustration
Reasonably sure it is not fuel related as it does not chug to a halt but just dies immediately but i am no mechanic
Really appreciate any assistance

Sounds electrical
Check all the wiring to the distributor and coil for loose, dirty, corroded or broken wires.
Check the points and condensor, change them if you are at all suspicious of the condition, they are relatively cheap
Check that the engine earth (ground) is clean and tight, might of been disturbed when the gearbox was put in.

slightly vaguer things.....

Ignition timing ok?
Ignition advance working ok?
No air leaks on the intake side?
These are my thoughts I sure others will add
HTH
Malc

Malc said:
Check that the engine earth (ground) is clean and tight, might of been disturbed when the gearbox was put in.

That was my first thought. I'd check that before anything else.

makin and breakin??

If new fuel pump is an original mechanical one--go no further as this won't be of use--if electric--be sure the earth/ground is good as that will kill surely and without regard for speed or load--and suddenly

On mine i found it was the black wire from the key-switch. Had broken off and was just laying against its point from old habbit... :mrgreen:

Back