Help with colour

frogisland

Reaction score

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
if there is a bronze or metallic (hard to tell in your pic) tone it would be ceylon and that would be very cool!

Hard to believe BMW has no info on the car?

Last edited:

61porsche

Reaction score
The underside looks like silver. That color takes on a bronze tint.

The yellow looks like etching primer on a bare shell since there's no discernable metallic hue. Very common by some painters . Then primer surfacers are used- the grey- and smoothed before color.

Ceylon would be metallic gold and very easily seen. Probably one of the cars with early clear issues and got repainted early on

What's stamped on the paint tag on the driver's jamb? also look up under the dash where most painters don't go.

Nonetheless, with certain colors they are effected by the primer below in how they reflect light and change hues.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
and look up under the dash or under the rear seats- there has to be an area that has not been overpainted and will have some original paint overspray to confirm...

frogisland

Reaction score
Thanks for the help so far, looks similar to Ceylon, the photos i have seen range in brightness. My photo was likely with flash which will have lightened it up.

The whole of the interior had been stripped out and taken back to bare metal then painted black a few years ago. The car was painted blue and silver 30+ years ago, the whole of the interior, engine bay. Underneath beneath the grime, stone chip etc was black - i even found some small parts of a red'ish primer. All in all, very few areas of original colour could be found.

The dark brown on the images is rust! Now i think about it, the yellow is likely primer. The gold'ish area was in the engine bay under the blue paint.

Re vin number - BMW have zero records on my chassis number, they did say it has occurred a few times now on older cars. They checked here in the UK and Germany.

The shell is presently being dipped - so zero paint when i get it back. Final colour choice is a long way off (6 months), and since my car will be far from original the colour will change. Currently favouring Inka, but Turkis and Fjord also on the list.

Does anyone know what colour this is?

Attachments

• img036.jpg
    img036.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 218

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the help so far, looks similar to Ceylon, the photos i have seen range in brightness. My photo was likely with flash which will have lightened it up.

Does anyone know what colour this is?

Looks like Phoenix gold from an E46 M3

Usually there is some info on the car like a sticker or plate with the paint ID.....