Helpful information needed.

84E24

Reaction score
I am looking for the locations of the wires that go to the coil and resistor.

I have the following wires:

1) black with red spots

2) green

3) 3 black wires in 1 conector

4) 1 black with a red stripe and 1 black with red spots in 1 conector

Could someone take a look and let me know.

Thanks, Steve

61porsche

Reaction score
Is the resistor still attached to the body? Is there a single short wire still attached? You didn't mention it.

Here goes:

1) The distrubutor to -minus side of the coil- green.

2) Black wires- same as above.

3) The black and red wires are all positives or to say it another way they form the circuit through the resistor to the plus side of the coil.

The single black/ red should go to the resistor on the side closest to the headlight. There is a small length wire that you didn't describe that connects the other side of the resistor to the plus side of the coil.
The last connection goes on the positive side.

My colors are a bit different than yours, so the one thing that could change is the black/ red wire that is only on when you crank the starter ( Gives direct 12+ volts to start. That's a 50/50 shot at being right. If it runs your set. If it runs and stops switch the black/ red at the resistor. You could turn the ingnition on and find the black red that's constant with a test light or meter. That's the one that supplies current to the ballast resistor.

I also don't use the resistor any more. My coil has it built in. You can check the bluebooks for the correct voltage.

Hope this helps and at least narrows it down. :)

Tundra

Reaction score
Here it is

Does this help?

Attachments

• SNC13015.jpg
    SNC13015.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 111
  • SNC13016.jpg
    SNC13016.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 115
  • SNC13024.jpg
    SNC13024.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 136

84E24

Reaction score
Thanks Andre,

If I am seeing correctly:

1) left side of the resistor is the black with red spots

2) right side of resistor is the green wire

3) neg. side of the coil is the 3 black wires with 1 conector

4) pos. side of the coil is the 2 black wires with a red stripe and red dots.

Is that correct ?

Thanks again,

Steve

Tundra

Reaction score
If by left side of resistor you mean closest to front then you are correct. 61 porsche is also correct. If you look at the second picture I posted, you will clearly see what looks like a condenser right above the resistor. From this " condenser" I have a blue wire which connects to pos. on the coil ( this "condenser" is not to be confused with the condenser attached on the distributor).
Other than the blue wire connection mentioned, this is what I have:single black/red wire to resistor side closest to front, double green wire to resistor side closet to rear, again see second picture . I then have a double black/red wire to pos. coil, double ALL black wire to neg. of coil and a single ALL black from condenser on distributor to neg. of coil.

Hope this works for you.

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
in the present state of my car I can not help you very much with detailed photos, because I recently changed the coil and resistor and all the spark cables to BERU, and I sealed conviniently all cables with thermoretractyl plastic tube, so the cables can not be seen anymore

but I am posting the old aspect of that area in a not very detailed photo,

hope it helps

regards
3448ccg.jpg

DougE

Site Donor
Reaction score
Blue Coil

in the present state of my car I can not help you very much with detailed photos, because I recently changed the coil and resistor and all the spark cables to BERU, and I sealed conviniently all cables with thermoretractyl plastic tube, so the cables can not be seen anymore

but I am posting the old aspect of that area in a not very detailed photo,

hope it helps

regards
3448ccg.jpg

I noticed you are using a Bosch Blue coil which has an internal resistor but you seem to have a blast resistor in the circuit as well. With the Bosch Blue coil you don't need the ballast resistor.

Doug

61porsche

Reaction score
Resistor wiring

Item 22 ( resistor) is wired to the + side of the coil ( item 23) per the workshop.61-0/43.

In theory, it shouldn't matter which way the resistor connections are done as it is a pass through reduction of voltage that makes the points last longer. But again, I just keep the resistor for nostalgia since I run a hotter coil with built in resistance.

If the coil is wired backwards- you'll figure it out fast as the car will be unresponsive, but run and the fuse for the tach will be blown.

There is an excellent article on the 02 site of coil comparisons and they're effect. It's posted here on the search/ topics. Since everyone always blames the carbs first and experience says that 95% of the time it's ignition related running issues it was worth it to check everything in an unknown/ new owner engine tuneup.

FYI-The other picture of the small round metal cylinder is an RF resistor for radios. ( Circa 70's early 80's maybe.) Good conversation piece. Hardly anyone runs/ makes solid core wires for normal use. That's why you measure wire resistance to see if you're getting all the spark you can.

84E24

Reaction score
I would like to thank all that have contributed to this thread and also the ones that have emailed me personally. With your help I have figured my issue out.

I have recently installed triple webers on my cs. Last week I have also installed a MSD system with wires, plugs and coil. This weekend I was cleaning up and triming some of the excess wires and must have really screwed something up. I could not get it started.... I was thinking that I had the wires conected incorrectly. Well this morning I discovered that my Pertonix electronic ignition was not sending a spark. I put the old points back in to test and shocked the shi.... out my friend. So, I need a need Pertronix.

Again, thanks to all.

Here is a pic of the triples:

Steve

Attachments

• Carb clearance 009.jpg
    Carb clearance 009.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 110

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I noticed you are using a Bosch Blue coil which has an internal resistor but you seem to have a blast resistor in the circuit as well. With the Bosch Blue coil you don't need the ballast resistor.

Doug

hi

that was my previous engine coil and etc. arrangement that dated from the previous owner, now I renewed it with a BERU coil and a new BOSCH resistor

anyway let me ask you a question, was there any bad effect in the car when the blueboschcoil+resistor were fitted ? any system could have been damaged ?

regards

84E24

Reaction score
I upgraded to the blue coil about a year ago with no issues. I am now using the red coil from MSD. It has been running fine until I got my hands on it, lol.

Steve

lip277

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
anyway let me ask you a question, was there any bad effect in the car when the blueboschcoil+resistor were fitted ? any system could have been damaged ?

regards

No - There is no 'detriment' to using a ballast resistor with a coil that has internal resistance. Just a less energetic spark. And your points will last longer. Not that it matters with a Pertronix, but still...

I ran that way in my 2002 for ~20 years before I figured that out and went back to the red coil.

84E24

Reaction score
Andre and all, here are some additional pic's of my engine compartment:

Thanks,

Attachments

• Carbs 001.jpg
    Carbs 001.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Carbs 002.jpg
    Carbs 002.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Carbs 003.jpg