The good bits:
- Body work
- Interior

Bad bits:
- Engine is toast (knocking)
- It's an Auto
- Brake servos don't work
- Suspension is super-soft

Found myself an M30B35 with manual box to drop into this, so that's the project in hand. I hope I will be able to get help from fellow convertees (is that a word?) and maybe some parts from people to help me on my way.

I thought I would introduce myself before I start this journey.....

Cheers!!

Andy
Nottingham, UK

frogisland

Reaction score
Welcome Andy, I did consider going to look at it since it was not far from me. A friend of mine was interested. It sounds as though you might be converting to manual. I have a RHD manual pedalbox that might be of no use to me (my car is LHD) and would have your conversion.
JP

rudeuk2

Reaction score
Hi dude, it needs more power. Good the body is already taken care of, did they give you pics of the processes that took place?
I'm wondering if it was a green shell I kept seeing floating about some time ago, when was it built the second time around?
Best of luck with it.:cool:

scrappydog

Reaction score
I've got a USB stick full of pictures of the shell resto. I think they did a good job and spent a shed load of cash doing it and seemed to skimp a bit on the mechanicals. To be fair I don't think the owner was so fussed about investing in all the oily bits and was happy to have a sheep in wolf's clothing, if you know what I mean?

I'm usually the other way, in that I'll dive into the mechanicals and not pay too much attention to the bodywork and interior. So this is the perfect project for me.

i was considering an M5 engine swap, but it seemed less straightforward a and realistically I'm probably better getting the less powerful engine and spending time & money on sorting out the chassis and brakes.

Andy

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi from Essex

Andy
Good luck and if you need help pm me.
I have a few tools that I made to redo my suspension, currently have my brakes apart and will post photos when it is back together.
C

scrappydog

Reaction score
Thanks for all the words of encouragement!

I have now bought my M30B35 engine and 5 speed gearbox from an '88 535i, so the engine and manual swap project is now on. Lots of stuff to figure out in terms of clutch pedals and gear linkages, as well as sourcing the gear stick, knob, shroud and bezel. Then there is the brake upgrade and suspension changes!

So you might get a call out for help from time to time!!

I guess I should start a restoration thread...

Bye for now!

Andy

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great colour but I am shaking my head how the under hood painter sprayed Green over the plastic strut caps and electric relays. Keep at her and I hope to see more photos of your new project. Sounds like it is off to a good start.

scrappydog

Reaction score
Great colour but I am shaking my head how the under hood painter sprayed Green over the plastic strut caps and electric relays. Keep at her and I hope to see more photos of your new project. Sounds like it is off to a good start.

Yes I know!! :roll:
To be fair, the previouss owner / mechanics spent a lot of time and effort, but they didn't seem to have their eyes on the last 5%. So a lot of my time is now being spent fixing up the things that weren't quite done to completion. I guess I'm a bit more OCD than the last owner!

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Good to see another UK member here! Looks like a great base for a project. Will be keeping a close eye on the thread as I also want to do an M30B35 (albeit megasquirted) swap and a 265 getrag for the overdrive 5th and get a bit more economy on the long run.

Good luck with the build mate!

Ahmet.

Rek

Reaction score
Green 2800 CS

I followed this car and it looks excellent, but was beyond my means at the time. I bought one which needed bodywork but this is now almost finished despite protestations of some on this board. I bought an Alpina B10 3.5 from which I intend to put the engine, manual box and limited slip diff, plus wheel and anything else that fits onto it. Not purist but I will keep the original stuff as much as a I can but in a box in the garage. I like my creature comforts, so looking for some nice seats to ut in the thing too.

I guess that the challenges you face will be the same as mine so lets compare notes on rhd conversions. Issues I have solved (I think) are linkages for brakes accelerator, clutch etc., Speedo drive, servo's but I expect other things to come up. I am tempted to fir the ABS too especially if I fit the Alpina brakes.

scrappydog

Reaction score
How's this coming on?

Err, I must admit that I got distracted by a Caterham Fireblade and a Lancia Delta Integrale Evo to play with.

However, I've still been so searching for parts in the meantime and just picked up some 15" Alpina alloys this evening!

Plan is to get some CSI-spec rear trailing arms so I can replace the drums with a disc setup. Hopefully I can get started around Easter time!