Hi. New member but not a new owner, yet...

afishe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Seriously considering this CSL project. Have been told it is complete. Stalled restoration from back in the day. Have seen some parts and it looks encouraging (engine, interior, trim, glass etc but much more work needs to be done to confirm). Have had a good look at the shell and it looks almost too good to be true re: rust/historic repairs. I would greatly appreciate any input anyone felt like giving re the shell and its condition - signs of repair (some of the welds look terrible but they are replicated on the the other side of the car - were they really thrown together like this from new or do you think it has had serious work done!?) if you can face scrolling through the dozens of photos. Just need that extra little push to pull the trigger. To my untrained eye it looks great with only trivial repairs needed and signs of relatively minor repairs in the past - I cant help feel I must be missing something! (red is primer, was acid dipped and primed so appart from the odd bit of subsequent filler - should not be hiding anything) Cheers! https://imgur.com/a/cRUrE

CSL462

Reaction score
Hi there,
I just read your post and looked at the pics. I am currently restoring a CSL and it is almost finished. I am not very knowledgeable to answer your concern but what caught my eye was the aluminium bonnet or alloy hood depending which part of the world you come from, I need one of those, the one in the picture looks like it's new, if it is where can I get one?
I bought my CSL back in 1979, at the time it had a CSI bonnet, never thought much about it at the time, but now I am finding it hard to find one to complete the restoration.
Best of luck on your CSL maybe to be a project.
John

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the shell looks like a very nice starting point, there is for sure a lot of things to do before it's ready for paint, but it looks solid comparing to many other CSL projects.
You should inspect the rockers with a borescope just so you know their condition before buying/negotiating the price.

I don't know if you have earlier experience with the e9 platform, or if you're going to do this project all by yourself, but putting it all back together (correctly) could prove a challenge if you weren't the one who teared it apart. It's hard enough even if you did tear it apart yourself. But it is possible with lots of patience and research.
Would be interesting to hear what the asking price is, then it's easier to tell if it's worth it or not.

afishe

Site Donor
Reaction score
The shell looked amazing to me (having spent a solid week looking at photos/videos of E9 rust horror stories and how much work is involved in putting them right!) There are signs of a handful of small historical repairs here and there - the most significant being at the base of drivers A pillar inside the wheel well. The inner rocker cover at this point is also the only bit where the steel has gone through that I would be worried about. It isnt much and I tried to look at as much of the intermediate rocker as I could see with a small powerful torch and the bits I could see looked fine. The rest of the steel looked as new - no pitting even really. Even the floor pans look completely solid - the car comes with a full set of floor replacement panels but I am not sure why you would use them.. I am fine with the price and would be happy to put US$50-$70k into it on top. In some ways it is a double edge sword being a CSL - I really want an E9 to drive, I dont much care about its value on a day to day basis but it is the value that makes a viable to take on... It is also the CSL importance bit that mean that rather than having a free hand to build it up as I like (wheels, colour, suspension, motor, etc) I would feel an obligation to put it back to as original as possible. Anyways, I am fine with all that and this is the car that is available to me now so I want to work out a way forward - I could just buy it but I dont want it to end up a stalled dream (again! - it has been in storage for YEARS!) - i need a realistic path in my mind to get it on the road. I dont have the space, time or skill level to take the whole project on myself so I would have to have a professional restorer tackle it - my next task is to find one that wants to take the CSL jigsaw on! The parts are all there and before handing it over I would spend a lot of time sorting them the best I can, working out what really needed to be replaced and sourcing those parts. I have the option of taking a completely disintegrating CS (like REALLY bad) as part of the deal - apart from the terminal rust it looks pretty complete so i would have a source for some parts I guess if needed and also a bit of a reference as to where some bits go if it gets that bad!

Last edited:

afishe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there,
I just read your post and looked at the pics. I am currently restoring a CSL and it is almost finished. I am not very knowledgeable to answer your concern but what caught my eye was the aluminium bonnet or alloy hood depending which part of the world you come from, I need one of those, the one in the picture looks like it's new, if it is where can I get one?
I bought my CSL back in 1979, at the time it had a CSI bonnet, never thought much about it at the time, but now I am finding it hard to find one to complete the restoration.
Best of luck on your CSL maybe to be a project.
John
hi. to my knowledge the panels are original - it has all been dipped and cleaned up.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
The shell looked amazing to me (having spent a solid week looking at photos/videos of E9 rust horror stories and how much work is involved in putting them right!) There are signs of a handful of small historical repairs here and there - the most significant being at the base of drivers A pillar inside the wheel well. The inner rocker cover at this point is also the only bit where the steel has gone through that I would be worried about. It isnt much and I tried to look at as much of the intermediate rocker as I could see with a small powerful torch and the bits I could see looked fine. The rest of the steel looked as new - no pitting even really. Even the floor pans look completely solid - the car comes with a full set of floor replacement panels but I am not sure why you would use them.. I am fine with the price and would be happy to put US$50-$70k into it on top. In some ways it is a double edge sword being a CSL - I really want an E9 to drive, I dont much care about its value on a day to day basis but it is the value that makes a viable to take on... It is also the CSL importance bit that mean that rather than having a free hand to build it up as I like (wheels, colour, suspension, motor, etc) I would feel an obligation to put it back to as original as possible. Anyways, I am fine with all that and this is the car that is available to me now so I want to work out a way forward - I could just buy it but I dont want it to end up a stalled dream (again! - it has been in storage for YEARS!) - i need a realistic path in my mind to get it on the road. I dont have the space, time or skill level to take the whole project on myself so I would have to have a professional restorer tackle it - my next task is to find one that wants to take the CSL jigsaw on! The parts are all there and before handing it over I would spend a lot of time sorting them the best I can, working out what really needed to be replaced and sourcing those parts. I have the option of taking a completely disintegrating CS (like REALLY bad) as part of the deal - apart from the terminal rust it looks pretty complete so i would have a source for some parts I guess if needed and also a bit of a reference as to where some bits go if it gets that bad!

Okay, if you can find a proffessional restorer that have experience of the e9, especially the CSL, and are willing to take on this project, I think $50k-$70k for parts/bodywork/paint/interior and all the hours for assembly and getting it sorted out to a finished car ready to drive, is optimistic. It adds up, so freakin quickly. I'd say that figure is possible if you do alot of the work yourself.

This is just my opinion, everything is possible but it all depends on what kind of level you want the finished car to be on. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great project, but it will be expensive even if it isn't that rusty.

afishe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay, if you can find a proffessional restorer that have experience of the e9, especially the CSL, and are willing to take on this project, I think $50k-$70k for parts/bodywork/paint/interior and all the hours for assembly and getting it sorted out to a finished car ready to drive, is optimistic. It adds up, so freakin quickly. I'd say that figure is possible if you do alot of the work yourself.

This is just my opinion, everything is possible but it all depends on what kind of level you want the finished car to be on. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great project, but it will be expensive even if it isn't that rusty.
hi. thanks. to be honest, I have not seen enough of the parts yet to make a decision (seller claims it is all there but 'there' isnt all in one place!) from what I have seen I am optimistic. I want a good solid reliable car to drive - it needs to look good and 'right' but I am not an utter slave to originality and every last nut bot and bracket being shiny as new - if that makes sense? I like a bit of character. The suspension components look to have been stripped and painted to a reasonable condition, as have a few other parts. The door cards look good. I think I spied a set of newish looking bilsteins in a corner. The bits of dash and trim i could find looked ok too. Looks to have a new SS exhaust system, pair of new rear lights, etc etc etc - it goes on and on - there are good bits and not so good bits. Seller says motor is good - I would probably have the top end rebuilt as a matter of course anyway. I might buy it, spend a good while sorting the bits to the best of my ability and then make a decision from there when I have a better handle on what will need to be sourced and what level of refurbishment is required. I can always bail out and leave it to the next guy with more time and skills than me to do but I think that will make me sad..

afishe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know this is getting way ahead of myself but in search for the seats I only found the rears (i am sure the fronts are there somewhere) - they look a bit odd - from what I can tell they look like the scheel shapes in how the vinyl is cut but the centre panels are black vinyl too - not fabric - and they look old and like they have never been apart - did any CSL's come with the seats trimmed like this? is is a genuine RHD UK city pack car with matching engine and chassis numbers. just curious. Headlining is black too which seems odd or is that right?

Attachments

• IMG_3574.JPG
    IMG_3574.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 291
  • IMG_3577.JPG
    IMG_3577.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 312

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Black headliner is correct. I’ve never seen a CSL without the scheel fabric in the rear. I feel like anything is possible in the UK, especially with the city pack cars.

I wouldn’t consider that shell amazing. It looks solid and would make a solid driver. It really depends on the base price. If the base price plus restoration puts you at current CSL prices, that shell could hurt you. The repairs look similar to what marc has been unpacking on his CSL project.

FWIW - The factory welds look like crap also. There aren’t a lot of them though, most of the car is spot welded.

afishe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Black headliner is correct. I’ve never seen a CSL without the scheel fabric in the rear. I feel like anything is possible in the UK, especially with the city pack cars.

I wouldn’t consider that shell amazing. It looks solid and would make a solid driver. It really depends on the base price. If the base price plus restoration puts you at current CSL prices, that shell could hurt you. The repairs look similar to what marc has been unpacking on his CSL project.

FWIW - The factory welds look like crap also. There aren’t a lot of them though, most of the car is spot welded.
thanks - ok, I may have overstated my excitement at the state of the shell a bit but I was expecting much worse so when i posted I was in 'pleasant surprise' mode! The price is fine, if I were a terrible terrible person I could probably sell off the bonnet, boot, doors, steering wheel, seats (if I can find them!), new lights and various other bits and bobs and pretty much get my money back. But I am not going to do that, it would be a terrible thing to do to the car and it would be a terrible thing to do to the person I would be buying it off. He wants to see it on the road and I want to own it and drive it. The decision to go ahead is not about money per se if that makes sense. I am just posting here to gently feel my way around the project and invite the opinions and thoughts of those with much more experience than me as I inspect parts as to their condition/correctness and how the condition of those parts is best addressed. Hell, quite a lot of my posts wold likely be a photo under the title 'whats this?'.Actually, I just realised that I am actually posting here as a way to talk myself into it!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree it should absolutely be saved. You may just want to paint and enjoy rather than trying to undo any of the previous metal work. You pretty much found my dream project!

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
thanks - ok, I may have overstated my excitement at the state of the shell a bit but I was expecting much worse so when i posted I was in 'pleasant surprise' mode! The price is fine, if I were a terrible terrible person I could probably sell off the bonnet, boot, doors, steering wheel, seats (if I can find them!), new lights and various other bits and bobs and pretty much get my money back. But I am not going to do that, it would be a terrible thing to do to the car and it would be a terrible thing to do to the person I would be buying it off. He wants to see it on the road and I want to own it and drive it. The decision to go ahead is not about money per se if that makes sense. I am just posting here to gently feel my way around the project and invite the opinions and thoughts of those with much more experience than me as I inspect parts as to their condition/correctness and how the condition of those parts is best addressed. Hell, quite a lot of my posts wold likely be a photo under the title 'whats this?'.Actually, I just realised that I am actually posting here as a way to talk myself into it!
well, just my opinion, it is a CSL! How many chances do you get to buy one. Easy to find problems with a 45 year old car but if you are in any way able to give it a new home, do it! You can evaluate and plan and get even more excited once it is in your garage. We will all be excited for you. How many times do you think these will come around? What a wonderful opportunity. But that may just be me. Go with your gut. If you have $$$, space, time, support of your partner, what else do you need? Mike

afishe

Site Donor
Reaction score
well, just my opinion, it is a CSL! How many chances do you get to buy one. Easy to find problems with a 45 year old car but if you are in any way able to give it a new home, do it! You can evaluate and plan and get even more excited once it is in your garage. We will all be excited for you. How many times do you think these will come around? What a wonderful opportunity. But that may just be me. Go with your gut. If you have $$$, space, time, support of your partner, what else do you need? Mike
Hahaha! Yep, you about hit the nail on the head as to what I feel right now... $$ to buy seems ok, $$$$$ to have restored is looking marginally but acceptably less than utterly terrifying, space - kind of but I would be having it largely taken care of by professionals so not so much of an issue, time - dont care really - i have a few years left in me, support of partner - direct quote "of course I support you doing something you are excited about, just dont go on and on and on about it.."! I have a soul so of course my gut says "DO IT". It is a work in progress though - I have seen the shell and many of the parts. I have some of the documentation/history for the car. I have spoken to knowledgable people who knew the car before it was stripped and they are very positive about it. Complications? - the parts have been moved several times over the many years it has been in bits and are in a bit of a jumble with other general BMW+e9 parts - and at the moment not all of them are possible to get to. I am working with the owner to verify that all the bits are there (and more importantly the important bits..) and their condition. Have found the rear seats as mentioned above but not the fronts. The gearbox has been split from the engine at some point - havent seen that yet... There are fish bins full of parts to go though too. I do believe the seller when he says it is all there but the purchase price is enough that I really would want to know I was getting if not everything then certainly all of the bits that would be hard to source. One up side is that the car comes with a rotted out donor 3.0 CSA which while pretty rough could yield some useful parts if needed. I am on it and will post here if it goes ahead or not, I am just having to force myself to be patient at this point!

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK, the "fish bins " did it for me, you gotta get that CSL, it will all work itself out. Plus you get to chronicle all of the trials and tribulations of bringing back a genuine CSL. Who gets to write about that?
Again, just my opinion, but over here, in my domain, I support my spouses's horse habit, and she turns a "blind eye" to my reckless, automotive piling up of sundry and unrelated projects, I am SO lucky! :)

afishe

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK, the "fish bins " did it for me, you gotta get that CSL, it will all work itself out. Plus you get to chronicle all of the trials and tribulations of bringing back a genuine CSL. Who gets to write about that?
Again, just my opinion, but over here, in my domain, I support my spouses's horse habit, and she turns a "blind eye" to my reckless, automotive piling up of sundry and unrelated projects, I am SO lucky! :)
LOL - I had several 'horsey' girlfriends in my youth but ended up with one without such a ruinous hobby.. Right about now is the first time I have though it might have been more positive if my wife had an expensive pastime, you know, to even things up a bit!

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
LOL - I had several 'horsey' girlfriends in my youth but ended up with one without such a ruinous hobby.. Right about now is the first time I have though it might have been more positive if my wife had an expensive pastime, you know, to even things up a bit!
Right then, apparently an opportune time to set her up with a "spa day" with her best and chatty friend! Good luck afishe, and keep us informed! Mike