Holy crap, Sunbeam Tiger for $3500!

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yeah it's seen better days but there are people in this forum that can revive this baby. It isn't me :(

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fun to dream, and a Tiger is one of those bucket list cars. There is a lot of information online and with the Tiger community members. Given the similarities between the Tiger and Alpine there is a substantial number of Aplines that have been created as tributes, but not always sold as such. Important to get a knowledgeable person to help with the research before writing the check.

At this cost you wont get hurt though, and it would certainly be a ton of fun!

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
as always.... the $3500 are just a start to dream .. but what does it cost in parts ( & hours ) to get it "decent" and "running" ?
No matter how many DIY hours you want to do.... many (expensive) parts will be needed, in the hope they are still available ???

so yes, at this cost you wont get hurt , but you are nowhere. Sure a future ton of fun but also a ton of $$$ needed.....

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That looks very unrusted to me. Someone in the UK would pay tons more for that. Brits aren's scared of rust. I think they enjoy the challenge.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
That looks very unrusted to me. Someone in the UK would pay tons more for that. Brits aren's scared of rust. I think they enjoy the challenge.

i do not agree Bob, i would prefer a "complete" restorable car even with some rust issues.... if one can handle a grinder and welding it's less expensive as searching a interior and/or repaint.... i even would think , a oldtimer without interior and in need of a repaint is a parts car .... unless a +200k model... ???

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
i do not agree Bob, i would prefer a "complete" restorable car even with some rust issues.... if one can handle a grinder and welding it's less expensive as searching a interior and/or repaint.... i even would think , a oldtimer without interior and in need of a repaint is a parts car .... unless a +200k model... ???
I see what you mean Barry. I'd hate to have to find a lot of interior and trim parts for an obscure vehicle if they weren't easy to find. Always been impressed with what gets pumped out of UK enthusiast garages. A lot of the projects I have seen in magazines I am truly surprised someone attempts. I feel they often breathe a lot of dust and paint fumes for the love of the resto. I look at a Sunbeam Tiger as a somewhat crude implement. The motor will be easy to bring back to life, or bolt in a bigger one. I'll never fix up a rusty car again in my life.
One thing I did in my youth was work outdoors on cars in the winter. That is a Canadian skillset that can teach someone about extreme discomfort.

jmackro

Reaction score
i would prefer a "complete" restorable car even with some rust issues.... if one can handle a grinder and welding it's less expensive as searching a interior and/or repaint.... i even would think , a oldtimer without interior and in need of a repaint is a parts car .... unless a +200k model... ???

Just to be contrary, let me differ: Sure, if you goal is a 100 point, perfect car, then that missing gearshift knob that was only used for a single year on a single model could be a deal breaker. On the other hand, when your objective is simply having a fun car to drive, one that would impress 99% of the people who saw it, an aftermarket shift knob will function just fine.

When the goal is to just get the car back on the road, rust and/or accident damage can take heaps of time and money to remedy. An unrusted/uncrashed car, even if it's missing a few bits, is usually the quicker, easier project.

Back to our Tiger: I see that the CL ad has been taken down, so someone snapped it up. Does anyone know Tigers well enough to be able to tell from the photos whether this car was genuine? I'm no expert, but believe that one difference between a 4-cyl Alpine and a V8 Tiger is how the steering column is configured underhood.

Last edited: