Hood Grill Nylon Bushing

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like the nylon bushing 51131812021 is available from BMW but they are $7-8 each which is really crazy!!!!

Can someone please post a picture of an alternative nylon bushing that can be used. It sit between the screw and the sheetmetal.

Chris Macha says they "should be flat with the tiniest little shoulder in middle."....I searched high and low and can't seem to find anything like that.

I found these from Hillman and they fit perfectly in the hole in the sheetmetal but the cylindrical height of the narrow inner diameter portion forces the screw into the hole at dead center. Of course, only some of the holes line up perfectly with the hole through the sheetmetal.

Next step is to use a Dremel and cut off a large percentage of the height of the inner cylinder so that it allows the screw to be screwed in at a slight angle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 187
Bez,

Send me your address via PM, found them at Ace.

"Shoulder Washer," in the green drawers, 0.328" O.D. $0.20 each

deQ, we love your posts, no problems here!

Chris
a huge +1. deQ, you simply posted a W+N listing. if they have screws that are too long - its on them. you are doing a wonderful thing of helping other people find more options.

you sir are always a big help to all of us.
scott

For screws, I think Fastenal has M3 X 10 mm screws. IF I recall correctly maybe in stainless at 20 cents apiece. BUT, shipping is about $7.50 from their Indianapolis warehouse to your local dealer (or maybe to your house).

For screws, I think Fastenal has M3 X 10 mm screws. IF I recall correctly maybe in stainless at 20 cents apiece. BUT, shipping is about $7.50 from their Indianapolis warehouse to your local dealer (or maybe to your house).
3mm is very close to 1/8" and 10mm is approx. 3/8" i would think you could probably get away with finding an imperial screw to use. my guess is that if you already have different size screws in this location that an m3 might not hold anyway.

The cost of shipping and duty as well as currency exchange fees make ordering a small item prohibitively expensive here in the US.

Ian

So as it happens Walloth and Nesch choose to ship items by the most expensive method they can; this is so they can have it insured to cover any damage which they are obsessively concerned about.

If you are ordering small inexpensive items, ask them to send it in a padded envelope. I ordered some seat belt hooks and had them send it to a friend in Germany. But they still chose to send it in the most expensive possible way. Plus DHL wouldn't deliver it without a signature and my friend had to go out of his way to go to the local post office to fetch a very small item (that was packed in a box 20x its size). It happened that it would have been cheaper to just have it sent to me in Boston in a padded envelope!

Realoem shows a picture below of the screw that is NLA and it looks like antique brass or black. So were they orignally dark or chrome colored? Chris Macha says they were "white zinc" but I don't remember my periodic table of elements all that well��

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 115
Back