Hood installation instructions

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is there a thread on how to install the hood or at least some tips regarding the order of connecting the hinges and torsion bar ends etc? If not, any pointers? Time for mine to go on, finally. Thanks.

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi,
in fact it's an easy job:
- bring the hood into the upmost vertical position
- support the hood with a small wooden plank or broom stick, no need to fix it
20240202_092614.jpg
- remove the covers on top of the front light
- install the torsion bar on the hood placing the arms inside the front light opening
20240202_092633.jpg
- cover the area with a mat to avoid scratches
- slowly move one arm upward to bring the latch into position
- secure the latch by the M6 screw
20240202_091823.jpg
- do the same on the other side
- fix the arms on the car body
For me (since I have strong arms and not two left hands) it's easy to do this job alone. If you do it for the first time better ask for a helping hand!
Thomas

Last edited:

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
With the procedure as described by Thomas, the torsion springs are in their relaxed state when mounting the system to the hood.
The tension in the spring only builds up when the upper part is rotated towards the back of the hood ( to the vents).

Apart from getting the hood in place, it's a one man job.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for this, my hood is not yet mounted to the front hinge supports behind the lights. So I need to mount the hood to them first before dealing with the torsion arms, yes? I have e9 assistance buddies helping today.

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, first attach the hinges to the hood, then take the hood and put it in place. Adjust it vertically and horizontally, afterwards install the torsion bar!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, first attach the hinges to the hood, then take the hood and put it in place. Adjust it vertically and horizontally, afterwards install the torsion bar!
Thanks, I drilled guide holes before removal so hopefully they will help alignment.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Car Gods have upped the stakes and taken the upper hand, I fractured my ankle 2 days ago - now making all tasks more challenging...and SLOW.
Oh no! Sorry to hear this. How bad is it - cast, walking cast, one of those little scooter trolley things with the handle to steer it, or just toughing it out 'cause real men only need one good ankle? But seriously, I hope the recovery is quick and full.

-Dan

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh no! Sorry to hear this. How bad is it - cast, walking cast, one of those little scooter trolley things with the handle to steer it, or just toughing it out 'cause real men only need one good ankle? But seriously, I hope the recovery is quick and full.

-Dan
Thanks, a small walking brace, removable. Dr. doesn't like those heavy walking boots (I agree!). Could be worse like cast, scooter, surgury etc.