Hood Torsion Bar Install

Kenneth Olsen

Reaction score
I'm replacing a broken hood torsion bar. A pre-paint test fit of the replacement unit (scavenged together from 2 sources) went ok until I tried to hook up the link to the top of the fender. It seems to take an extraordinary amount of force to pull back the torsion bar arms. Then when I eventually close the hood, the torsion bar arms will rotate through nearly 180 degrees, putting a lot of strain on the system. Please look at the attached photos and diagrams. Am I approaching this correctly?
Thanks for your input.
Ken in LaConner, WA
2250492 - Black Hood Torsion Bar.jpegPosition 1 install.jpgPosition 2 closing.jpgPosition 3 closed.jpg

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm replacing a broken hood torsion bar. A pre-paint test fit of the replacement unit (scavenged together from 2 sources) went ok until I tried to hook up the link to the top of the fender. It seems to take an extraordinary amount of force to pull back the torsion bar arms. Then when I eventually close the hood, the torsion bar arms will rotate through nearly 180 degrees, putting a lot of strain on the system. Please look at the attached photos and diagrams. Am I approaching this correctly?
Thanks for your input.
Ken in LaConner, WA
2250492 - BlackView attachment 95657View attachment 95658View attachment 95659View attachment 95660

find a thread that i made years ago about this,

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here, I found it for you, took less than a minute!

Kenneth Olsen

Reaction score
Here, I found it for you, took less than a minute!

HB
Thank you for your help...project well underway...will summarize process for sharing.
Also, relative to your earlier Q about breakers in column for window motors on my car...none present. In reviewing your summary of production changes, my car 2250492 has old style sardine can window motors, old style rocker switches with ridge in the center, wiper speed on console, window winder plugs in door panel, peaked headrests. Fascinating details...thank you for the list.
Ken