horn sound

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
The horn in my '74 CS goes "meep-meep " (like Roadrunner.) What is it 'sposed to sound like? Can one still get an original part, or is there a close aprroximation at NAPA/Autozone/National?
Thanks.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
One of the tones is probably not working. There are two horns (right and left), check the wiring to each one. Roadrunner parts are available through ACME of course.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bosch (or is it Hella?) horns have a high-low note. You s/b able to find a new pair at your dealer or on squee-bay, or send the guys in Rancho Cordova a 10-spot and they'll prolly mail you a pair.

b.t.w. what's so bad about "meep meep"? 8)

75a36e5c1a3a72b60fd06e93955fe319.jpg

Honolulu

Reaction score
Horns

Horns are (slightly) adjustable, there is usually a screw on them, sealed with a dab of paint. I'd take the offending horn off and clean it up, then test. Make sure good connection is there, and only after that, mess with the adjustment screw.

But first make sure your connections are okay (since there is some noise, they probably are).

Last time my horn went out, it turned out to be the relay. I bench tested the horns, they were okay... the ground (horn button on the column) was okay. This left only the relay, so I took it out/apart, and cleaned the contacts. Voila, horn restored.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
It's been over 30 years since I have done this; however I think you may be able to take the horn apart and fix it. Inside the horn there is a flat metal diaphragm and a metal electrode that just barely makes contact. Often there is corrosion on the contact. WD40 may cure is but you may be able to separate the horn halves and clean the contact and contact point with steel wool. I think the electrode may also have a adjustment and a lock nut which could help in tuning. Replacements may be in order but if you like wrenching I'd consider a simple disassembly and cleaning. Then again, although unlikely :roll: , you may find serious rust.