Houston Body Shop

grnder95

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pete,

Here are some of the trouble areas on the car that you requested.

Victor

Rust1.JPG

Rust2.JPG

Rust3.JPG

Rust4.JPG

Rust5.JPG

Rust6.JPG

Rust7.JPG

Rust8.JPG

Well...

Houston is a big place. What part of town?

http://www.classiccarsofhouston.com/gallery/1972-bmw-3-0cs/

Then there's F2... out west Memorial. He's a long time BMW guy. Fernando.

The Woodlands/ Spring area- check with Drew- Lexus body shop did John's coupe.

Couple of places near Chimney Rock and 59.

All depends on your budget and how much you want to do yourself.

PM me if you need something. Don't forget the 02 , Ms, 5 and 6 series guys in the BMW club.

Victor, it looks like you're not afraid to take things apart, that's good. From what I can see except for the wheel wells it does not look too bad. As you are in pretty deep I think it best to address all the rust now. If there is more rust under the shock towers or behind the glove box(es) it might be best to strip her completely and have the shell blasted or dipped if there is a place in Houston that does dipping. A good blaster will cost about a grand. With that said I think some of the Houston folks can recommend a welder/body shop closer to you. A good body shop with an experienced welder/fabricator is not that difficult to find with recommendations. The thing that's really important is that you communicate exactly what you want done and constantly follow up with them; explain that you are obsessive and may ask them to do something over if you don't like it. If you are comfortable with the owner and the tech(s) working on your car then half the battle is won. Take lots of pictures when you visit the shop and have them send you pictures as well, also ask them what you can do to make their job easier and bring down the cost. AND post your pictures, progress & questions for us so we can thoroughly deplete your bank account and your kids' college funds :)

Southeast Area

Houston is a big place. What part of town?

http://www.classiccarsofhouston.com/gallery/1972-bmw-3-0cs/

Then there's F2... out west Memorial. He's a long time BMW guy. Fernando.

The Woodlands/ Spring area- check with Drew- Lexus body shop did John's coupe.

Couple of places near Chimney Rock and 59.

All depends on your budget and how much you want to do yourself.

PM me if you need something. Don't forget the 02 , Ms, 5 and 6 series guys in the BMW club.
Hello,I live in southeast Houston around Hobby Airport,I don't mind driving to the woodlands or spring as long I can save some money. Thanks for the info. VICTOR

Hi Victor. I live down in Clear Lake. I know a few places around town that I can get contact info for if you are interested. May take a little hunting to decide whom you would want to use. I think 61porsche was referring to the other Drew (bwana?) and he may have some info as well. The link for classiccarsofhouston.com is a good shop. They do really good work but may have the car for a while and it may cost a fair amount of money to have the work done. That said, I don't think you would be disappointed. As far as I know, that green coupe was the first one that they had done. The other three places that I know do not do the same quality work, but will get the job done.

If you would like to chat, send me a PM with your number and I can give you a call.

Regards,
Drew (on the southside)

Last edited:
Drew's info

Victor, it looks like you're not afraid to take things apart, that's good. From what I can see except for the wheel wells it does not look too bad. As you are in pretty deep I think it best to address all the rust now. If there is more rust under the shock towers or behind the glove box(es) it might be best to strip her completely and have the shell blasted or dipped if there is a place in Houston that does dipping. A good blaster will cost about a grand. With that said I think some of the Houston folks can recommend a welder/body shop closer to you. A good body shop with an experienced welder/fabricator is not that difficult to find with recommendations. The thing that's really important is that you communicate exactly what you want done and constantly follow up with them; explain that you are obsessive and may ask them to do something over if you don't like it. If you are comfortable with the owner and the tech(s) working on your car then half the battle is won. Take lots of pictures when you visit the shop and have them send you pictures as well, also ask them what you can do to make their job easier and bring down the cost. AND post your pictures, progress & questions for us so we can thoroughly deplete your bank account and your kids' college funds :)

Hello Pete, that's what I was thinking we need to strip the car completely and start from base metal,as I was removing the paint, there were some rust spots underneath the two coats of paint.By the way the car's original color is Chomenix,I like to know how much does the car value decreases if you go for a color other than the original? Pete can I have the shop's information where they did your car,I like to get a couple estimates. Thanks

Hi Victor,

I'm in Houston too and glad to help out with coupe stuff. Others have chimed in here about Bwana - aka Jeff who lives in the Woodlands. Tor is in Houston and also has an awesome coupe.

For something closer, try Metropolitan Collision in the Heights on 16th st. near Shepard. They do mainly high end German cars and are not afraid of rust.

The thing about body shops is if you want them to pay attention to detail and stay on schedule you have to do one of the following two things:

1) Give them a blank check and a finish date. You have to be rich and not care to do this

2) Stop by constantly, be very interested in what they are doing and let them know you'll be coming by often. Be the squeaky wheel if you have to - you have nothing to lose. The closer the shop, the easier it will be to visit.

HTH
James

Holding down the north end of town here :D I use a guy named Matt King who used to be in Conroe. He's now out it the hinterland off FM 1484 just north of Cut-N-Shoot (no kidding). He mostly works on muscle cars but fixed the fenders on my Coupe. He also painted my 540i. His work is stunning, affordable, but it's hard to say if he'd be interested. You'd probably have to stop by for a chat.

Holding down the north end of town here :D I use a guy named Matt King who used to be in Conroe. He's now out it the hinterland off FM 1484 just north of Cut-N-Shoot (no kidding). He mostly works on muscle cars but fixed the fenders on my Coupe. He also painted my 540i. His work is stunning, affordable, but it's hard to say if he'd be interested. You'd probably have to stop by for a chat.

Hello, do you have a phone number or an address so I can get in touch with Matt? Regards

Back