How balance the originals wheels

remydedez

Reaction score
How do you balance your original wheels? Because my mechanic can’t balance them only with lead inside. Thank you

IMG_20191105_190235.jpg

remydedez

Reaction score
i ask to 3 differents tire shops :( apparently the problem is due to the inner barrel shape which isn't flat so they can't stick lead in this part...

Attachments

• bmw-e9-felgen.jpeg
    bmw-e9-felgen.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 11

bengal taiga

Reaction score
How do you balance your original wheels? Because my mechanic can’t balance them only with lead inside. Thank you

IMG_20191105_190235.jpg
This response may not be what you are seeking.

You may be asking two different questions. “Original” wheels may have been "originally" balanced with “older-style” conventional weights that pinched or "clipped-on" the rim lip. This includes both the inner and outer rim. My two "original", never used, inner tube-equipped spare tires and rims have small weights on both sides of the rim. I am guessing that when new, the original alloy wheels used the clip on style weights. The adhesive and foam backing on tape weights of that era were not as durable as today's offerings.

For aesthetic reasons, wheel weights can be placed on the inner side of the rim, including the rim barrel itself. Despite your reservations, newer, self adhering “tape weights,” stick well to "clean" surfaces. Visit a high volume tire store and note the number of rebalanced rims with vestigial adhesive and the effort used to safely remove it. As to your photo with the arrow, there are any number of acceptable means to achieve dynamic wheel and tire balance. This might include using the ample "flatter" surface area for wheel weights or even rotating tire on stationary rim.

Good luck.

v863_5.jpg
iu

e9alloyrim-jpg.57515
what-is-wheel-balancing.jpg

saharax e9 .JPG

Last edited:

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
As I replied to your FaceBook question, a machine that does load balancing will allow you to have a clip-on weight on the inside rim that will balance your wheel & tire.
The wheel in your photo is spotless! If it has been driven on the road, please tell us how you keep it that clean and what brake pad you're using. thanks!