How do I protect my rear axle from rust?

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just bought my first classic for 20 plus years and I am sure that paints and underseals have moved on heaps in the the last two decades. My csi has surface rust all over all the suspension parts and rear axle, any advice on what to do to protect it? I am not too keen to remove the entire axle as my garage is cramped and I fear that it will turn turn into a major restoration. But on the other hand if there are some good reasons to change certain rubbers etc then I could be convinced.View attachment 6327 PA130543.jpg

View attachment 6328
Thanks
Charles

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can cover surface rust with POR-15. It is a paint that is quite effective at covering rusty metal. I have used it on another car and it has held up very well. Good prep is key to a durable surface. You might want to scrape the undercoat off in a few places to see what is going on underneath. You should wear a respirator if applying POR 15 in a cramped space.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Judging from the picture

It looks like the rust is not too bad, but any visible rust on these things is not good. My preference would be to find a friends garage, or make more space in yours and drop the rear end out and re-do the bushings, springs, and anything else it needs plus, as mentioned below, scrape the underside to get to any rusted areas and prep and paint. Dropping the rear end out as a single piece is not hard but does require a little room (especially behind the car) and some caution when supporting the car as most of us jack them up on the rear suspension. My daughter and I rebuilt the entire rear of the car together including the CV joints without much difficulty. Additionally, your boots look like they may need attention, so I would do the rust prevention in sections and get everything done right- that way you can still drive the car with only a little down time and once you're finished fixing a section you won't have to go back and re-do it. All info below is good advice for an interim solution.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It's time to read the manual on how to remove the back axle, then make a discussion on which route to take.
Has anyone else used either POR 15 or Chassis saver which seems a similar product? Was it as good as the promotional material says, and as easy?
Thanks C