How do I pull out the radio?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pull the volume/tuner knobs off to access the scrws holding the faceplate on. Unscrew the 4 screws (2 on either side of the console) holding the ac intake vent/knobs on and pull forward a little (there will be wires to the ac switches connected) leaving the radio behind then once you get some room disconnect the wires and pull the radio out under the ac faceplate.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice, Thank you. A long time ago somebody told me that the easiest cheapest upgrade to a car stereo is better wires. The wires on my coupe are the old school brown thin wires with splices here and there. I have some Monster cable. I was thinking of swapping in.

First, the existing wire is fished along the side of the car near the driver's door. Do you see any problem with sending it up the center of the car along the transmission/driveshaft hump?

Second, what is your recommendation for getting the wire through the metal behind the back seat so it comes up under the parcel shelf. I am not happy with the Mickey Mouse (apologies to W. Disney) arrangement that was used for the skinny wires.

Thankshttp://www.e9coupe.com/forum/images/icons/icon5.gif

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Center or sides, makes no difference. I think there is an opening in the outer upper corner of rear wall to feed wires into trunk.

61porsche

Reaction score
Rear Speaker wiring

Stan,

I used the area where the trunk light wires come in. Left rear, up the back seat, just below the parcel shelf. Then you can tie up everything with clips that bolt on where the speakers bolts/ screws are.

Depends on how small the brown wires are. Even new BMWs have smallish wires.18ga.

Now if you want to mount monitors etc. in the trunk for show and shine with 2000 multiple amps I might use monster.:-D

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hmmm the monster cable is the thinner (but still large) variety.
Any audiophile out there with an opinion... Will the 80's era radio have enough power to drive the speakers or does the bigger wire make it easier? Electronics is not my field of expertise.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I doubt Monster Cable will make a difference in this (some say any) situation. Find cable that is easy to fit/work with.

Hmmm the monster cable is the thinner (but still large) variety.
Any audiophile out there with an opinion... Will the 80's era radio have enough power to drive the speakers or does the bigger wire make it easier? Electronics is not my field of expertise.

61porsche

Reaction score
Stereo cabling... audio....high fidelity

The number one rule with low voltage is to keep away from power cables or when absolutely necessary.... cross at right angles. ( Provides less interference.)