How do you open the later style window motors ??

pmansson

Reaction score
I am referring to the ones with a black, plastic cover concealing the electric motor.
I would like to take the plastic cover off, inspect, clean, lube etc.
Grateful as always.....

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can't remove the cover completely without removing the motor from the frame. If the motor doesn't work, you have to push the case down (use a screwdriver around the top of the cover). It will move down about 1-2 inches (2.5-5cm) exposing the top of the motor windings. Then you have to rotate the motor armature with a screwdriver for eons to get the window down far enough (about half way, IIRC) in order to remove the frame. Welcome to one of the joys of coupe ownership!

pmansson

Reaction score
Thanks,
I had the regulator and motor out of the car.
I learnt by trial and error, that the black casing comes right out/off by just pulling it off. One hand on gearbox and the other on the black case, and pull really hard.
No worries inside.

Somebody on the board told me about the small screw which tightens the axle so that it doesn´t wobble, esp when changing direction. The screw had some blue paint on its head. Probably a factory setting. I tightened it slightly to prevent the wobble.

I have now cleaned and regreased the channels and all other moving parts....
BUT I cannot see the sort of major change in speed of operation that I have had with other coupes. They have all had the early style regulator and sardine style motor.

My conclusion is that the later style motors are slower in operation than the early style. By later style, I mean the integrated motor/gearbox with black plastic cover over motor.
I have another later style motor (from the rear window of a >74 car) on the bench and I judge that they operate at very similar, slower speed than the sardine boxes !!!!

To clarify: it is an early 73 car which would normally have the early motors on all 4 windows. This car has evidently had the regulators and motors, in the doors, changed sometime in the past.I have never seen this setup in the doors. Not even my 74 coupe have them in the doors.

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
You may have some success improving performance by cleaning up the commutator(the band of copper contacts) with either an ink eraser or very fine emery cloth. I've done this while applying power to the motor and rubbing the commutator lightly with the eraser as it spins. You must be careful not to score the commutator so as to make it eat the brushes. Run forward and reverse trying to impart a dull polished finish.

pmansson

Reaction score
Wow,
thanks Ed. You mean that the outer surface of the commutator needs to come off, without the debris affecting the brushes (or something similar...?)

On the sardine style motors, I rubbed, gently, some emery paper along the sides of the central commutator. I then used a magnet to collect the spills. I then blew compressed air to clean out the compartment.

I will now measure the number of turns the small cogwheel (on the gearbox whether separate or integrated) makes in 15 secs on the early vs the later style motors.

I suspect that the early style motors are more "agressive".....