How do you protect fragile trunk “elephant skin” from damage

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have 93% of the original elephant skin in the trunk of my E9. Recently I put a small cardboard box in the trunk and did some driving. During cornering the box apparently slid about knocking into the sides of the inner wheel housings, cracking off a chunk of the seemingly fragile E-Skin. I was at 97% coverage before this incident.

I’m curious how others protect their E-skin from damage due to moving cargo/luggage.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don’t keep anything in my trunk 99% of the time, for road trips I wrap anything hard in towels and pack so it doesn’t shift.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I put some very thin solid foam on the wheel wells lower parts and put duct tape over any cracks on the underside

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Previous owner put a couple screws thru an adjustable strap at the forward part of the trunk. Since the holes were already there, I swapped in some D-rings and an adjustable compression strap.

It’s is enough to secure a small to medium sized object ( box, bin, etc.).

4D1D7BCC-3493-4F2E-910D-F4AA0DC9F844.jpeg16063C3A-FA9F-4EF5-BEF3-3181D30F1A1A.jpeg

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
When I rebuilt my skins I used fiberglass gel coat on the metal side of the skins to toughen them up works well.

Attachments

• rear view.jpg
    rear view.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 91
  • Trunk.JPG
    Trunk.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 90