How do you remove the seatbelt warning pod on the dash?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I see a few possibilities where it may come apart but why not ask the experts. I don't want to damage it because it will go back on, hopefully with the guts of my AFR gauge inside it. Stay tuned...

Iadq-gNgxc373cmx9gKBOTWwuaF5JxS_1oDGEVx0yqMr9Qm2-l2G8pWeMKxss9xPZBL4KDOWL12rdKT5jreXNpeO94z39h68VBuQYtBLI-9LH9uwJ-OeyJzl3w7lRzl_Ie6z-5tO4wPmXOujZwlUc2nzWbk792PLccbrCMZXKzF9aZPOxWkKA_rROqIG2v8z0L0vsL4xpD-FAazRdWIWzE5ePvrBR7Wzkr4XO-LAaZcsOC3MCyBEV1LhgRgKtiV1CCI9gukFkwktwcSUqMCFbPZCisQmNbsXFsRUlw1bthfcPROF_O-HAPVIAITCi532YQ_tjMLe4M-UZ9wqnlmFBJz9RrW4XQa-tBCiPfpRJzLz5jJd649oy-v5sreYJzB1GGyeVWDg4bGURU-H8yxcrxCWIM5_1wvns7YS0q1MHK3cQFBMAxTD28Pg-pbBCZrvswxQ3CLLDkiBFfG48FZVQ3WJruCZEWsQHmTpR1dgXC6RLqDOL4ZRJFAkx5H8fdHUNOxAK7KNkV0hR59M6hJtPSkwn3oBmOU57jWCVUKxvVfvMvdoyWERIzTV1dJOO_4EXkbNtPXfa7aoQb3DA1tPHV2xF4kbiTbv_8gkYfy7VeFLLz2nDvprAYpE4LTHMXdxaTtywSHtWD236ofjHj8l-IYnxes9GxGYlKTG-YGhADx90ZW4Q-RGnQ=w905-h781-no

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Found it on the 2002FAQ:

"Small phillips screw on pass side. once out, slide module 1/4" to the right then up. After module cover is off, take a stubby phillips to the 2 remaining screws and the base lifts off. Remove wire connector. Done"

Got it off, found this critter, I wonder if it is OEM? Not sure how it could have gotten in there:

BnVqB4dsLnT4ysUpVnENJn-QPK8EJvOr4iGhAgLck8RngSIWqUyTXafg-fNl974EIR225o3p3IKk9MkWbDgs3aBPHWn62fmUYHcvIV1Hq_u6ibfdPmf09BX3tuHC434x-SxMZbJ-jlpUQ15fodqpbKUnlbL-SwdApxXmEarq1-cY_7VWkfzAdLblXEOp18vvAucvF4H2ret79fdyB-W8XPHdfcSsAeknI7bmwAxIs_gGhCmn9MlsJPfZ-wXfbgm3QOTfNlnIFZuv7DSTcSKXKywRxKT5QFlGxYT_v_0jyJ62YQJJ38gY4N8U6-Hk7JRxWBqnXKIGJYgHwhVN8QcNRZAuJu5WJfiDHiX0-JuQ50XcStLl_5h3okcDjPRlmPdzwv3cEMmGD7NbRPoPPs2cxniurPoZrq5lAFUO4VsHGBYePRsEwWsW2CRmS7NUk86sjWej3uxXhgywWM0lATDTJ1TXiTtIUsImRLhfBYSGgaHb3_QO7b1ZBDVBBxksYRbs_M7-Ds6TtWl2WhnlKHk1yQWTh0mM3ntHgt3KOktrZL9TpXXfOY-ZZ_wP6D4cme9ea2nCcj9NMOCWzXLyKU10ZDryy8piNZNoTA3GSwgWI_hErIWFQUhPCt1ZAxO_JiYFDwwBENAHmKxcnktl_8yiRcnASTdAfzhFD_sA5zRCbQcj63_h3ImeBg=w1042-h781-no

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yup, that's how it's done.

There are other posts on changing the Fasten Seat Belts screen & making the AFR digital readout fit.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Stevehose, post: 278027, member: 2235"

Got it off, found this critter, I wonder if it is OEM? Not sure how it could have gotten in there:

BnVqB4dsLnT4ysUpVnENJn-QPK8EJvOr4iGhAgLck8RngSIWqUyTXafg-fNl974EIR225o3p3IKk9MkWbDgs3aBPHWn62fmUYHcvIV1Hq_u6ibfdPmf09BX3tuHC434x-SxMZbJ-jlpUQ15fodqpbKUnlbL-SwdApxXmEarq1-cY_7VWkfzAdLblXEOp18vvAucvF4H2ret79fdyB-W8XPHdfcSsAeknI7bmwAxIs_gGhCmn9MlsJPfZ-wXfbgm3QOTfNlnIFZuv7DSTcSKXKywRxKT5QFlGxYT_v_0jyJ62YQJJ38gY4N8U6-Hk7JRxWBqnXKIGJYgHwhVN8QcNRZAuJu5WJfiDHiX0-JuQ50XcStLl_5h3okcDjPRlmPdzwv3cEMmGD7NbRPoPPs2cxniurPoZrq5lAFUO4VsHGBYePRsEwWsW2CRmS7NUk86sjWej3uxXhgywWM0lATDTJ1TXiTtIUsImRLhfBYSGgaHb3_QO7b1ZBDVBBxksYRbs_M7-Ds6TtWl2WhnlKHk1yQWTh0mM3ntHgt3KOktrZL9TpXXfOY-ZZ_wP6D4cme9ea2nCcj9NMOCWzXLyKU10ZDryy8piNZNoTA3GSwgWI_hErIWFQUhPCt1ZAxO_JiYFDwwBENAHmKxcnktl_8yiRcnASTdAfzhFD_sA5zRCbQcj63_h3ImeBg=w1042-h781-no

[/QUOTE]
naaah ... that's a Louisiana native. ... question is, what was he eating in there to get bigger before he kicked the bucket

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good question - it's bigger than the wire holes in the dash, one of life's great mysteries. I don't think it's native to here, our nasty bugs are much bigger!

The light housing will also have a very small discreet power jack in the back so I can plug my radar detector into it without having to use the oversized cigar lighter receptacle which does not work with the usual lighter plugs, frustrating to look down and see I've been speeding unprotected! Also, a switch will be in the glove box to turn off the display when not needed.

question is, what was he eating in there to get bigger before he kicked the bucket

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
naaah ... that's a Louisiana native. ... question is, what was he eating in there to get bigger before he kicked the bucket
You mean "Cajun"?
[/QUOTE]

cajun is NOT a word i never use in conjunction with New Orleans. there are french + british descendents there, creoles there, y'ats there, and all kinds of imports. cajuns are from the other side of the Atchafalaya river (west of the mississippi). i grew up in the cajun part of louisiana (lafayette).

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Found it on the 2002FAQ:

"Small phillips screw on pass side. once out, slide module 1/4" to the right then up. After module cover is off, take a stubby phillips to the 2 remaining screws and the base lifts off. Remove wire connector. Done"

So, you're telling me everyone else doesn't have Velcro holding it down?

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
You mean "Cajun"?

cajun is NOT a word i never use in conjunction with New Orleans. there are french + british descendents there, creoles there, y'ats there, and all kinds of imports. cajuns are from the other side of the Atchafalaya river (west of the mississippi). i grew up in the cajun part of louisiana (lafayette).
[/QUOTE]
Hence the question mark. Thank you for the clarification. But now you have added another term I am not familiar with. Can you define : "y'ats" please?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A “yat” is a somewhat derogatory, but more so humorous description of a suburban, typically blue collar but heart of gold new orleanian who uses the expression “where you at?” in various situations. So someone who speaks this slang or comes from certain neighborhoods is called a “yat.” Yats call each other yats with respect. I love how this thread has devolved!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I love how this thread has devolved!
leave it to somebody from louisiana to accomplish such a feat. good explanation of a 'yat'. the other reminder this thread provided was the concours in birmingham o'fest that several of us went to with the bug on the rear parcel shelf ... where the judges pointed to it with q-tips

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
ANSWER THE QUESTION !!!!
THATS OEM ON 74 ON
what's the question Alan? - here is the answer to how to remove it (from post 2) ...
Found it on the 2002FAQ:

if your question is how did the bug get there? its a mystery of life only solved by seeing how bugs get to everything in louisiana ... and how they can grow bigger just on what is in the air.

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
Off topic, same subject-

My 72 2002 had the same idiot-based dash pod, which I needed not. I opened it up and replaced the torpedo lamp with a cheapo digital clock I found at Target or somewhere. I pulled the guts out of the clock, about the same size as the inside of the pod, and all I had to do was grind a small pocket inside the pod for a capacitor sticking up on the back of the PC Board - a perfect fit! To read the clock, I ground the back of the red window smooth to remove 'Fasten Seat Belt' and the paint to get full transparency, then put the clock guts inside, with the display right up against the lens. Once installed, it looked totally original.

The clock had a big red LED display and three wires for power, ground, and display. Since I had discovered a three pin clock connector on the back of the instrument cluster (power, ground, and display), I ran the clock wiring down through the dash to the instruments and connected to them. The 'display' pin got power from the instrument lights circuit, so the clock display dimmed with the instruments, exactly what I wanted.

The clock kept good time, cost under $5, and looked acceptable, though not entirely stock. I really like that it dimmed with the rest of the dash lights.

Now, back to your regular programming!

Andy