How do you restore the horn button from the "sport" steering wheel?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I found an old "sport" steering wheel. I'm not sure what these are called exactly.

I may have come from a 2002. Apart from the well known horn contact ring arrangement, are there differences between the one that came on the '02 vs the one on the e9?

I intend to refurbish it I ordered some new leather and will refinish the metal spokes.

But the horn button seems to be made of somewhat porous material so I'm hesitant to clean it without knowing more about how to do it right...

Thanks for any help.

Bo

Attachments

• IMG_8925.jpg
    IMG_8925.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_8926.jpg
    IMG_8926.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_8927.jpg
    IMG_8927.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 114
Aside from the horn ring for the E9, or pin for the 2002, the wheels are the same.

You can clean the center horn pad with Simple Green or plain soap and water, then coat it with Zymol Vinyl or equivalent protectant.

Thanks very much for the reply Andrew.

Most of these horn buttons I have seen have a sort of satin coating on them. This one seems to have lost its coating from long hours in the sun. It is fairly porous.

I wonder if there is some kind of spray to restore that sheen...

you should coat it with SEM color coat - satin black. be sure to follow the instructions and give it a good clean before coating. the SEM, will refinish the rough appearance ... and it should look great. i have found the best place to buy SEM products is from Summit Racing

Back