How does my oil pump chain slack look?

As for me little bit too much slack, but not critical, because the chain shouldn't be also too stiff.
What thickness of shim you currently have mounted inside?

I shimmed it recently when I put my pistons in. I don’t know the total thickness though. One little shim makes a huge difference in tightness.

You probably need to change the chain on new one, i remember while rebuilding one of my engines i made test fit & with old oil pump chain that in general looked ok to me, but after fitting had close slack to yours even with thicker 0,3mm shim; after putting new oem unstratched chain all became as should be.
Visually - you need half o the slack was showed on the video.

If you want a good answer I can post a video of a m30b35 chain in situ.

I try for easy movement between thumb and forefinger finger. No slack

Easy movement is critical, chain can't be too stiff, so that there is no load on the axial alignment of the oil pump impeller.

If you want a good answer I can post a video of a m30b35 chain in situ.

I try for easy movement between thumb and forefinger finger. No slack
If you can post that would be great but is sounds to me like I should tighten this a bit. May as well put a new chain on?

All these adventures started when you were only going to track down a noisy timing chain. I would have just turned the radio up louder……..maybe that’s why I’ve had 2 engine rebuilds.

Old oil pump sprocket on the left vs just acquired nos one, and check out that worn tooth groove on top, quite a difference I’d say!

398314D7-6515-4833-91BD-B2A5EB2D92CE.jpeg

Back