how is the clock suppose to sound?

petert

Reaction score
My '73 CS dashboard clock sounds like a ticking time bomb. It keeps good time but the sound is overwhelming. Do they all get louder with age and has anyone quieted one (without disconnecting it)?

clock ticking

Most Coupe caregivers that I know prefer the sound of the "big six" singing its special sound of Munchen--have rarely heard of an enthusiast spending much time sitting in the cabin just listening to the clock ticking away--try the following as a recommended fix

First option--just insert that funny dimpled key in the ignition lock--twist clockwise and the sound of the clock will go away--if m-30 responds to starter.

Second option--send your clock to a reputable auto intrument house for replacing the mechanical works with a quartz mechanism--last I heard quoted here in the colonies was about $200 to modify same.

Third option--I have a good quartz clock that will swap you for your "loud ticker"--let me know if you are interested.

clock sound

I'll ask again, is a loud ticking sound normal for an old mechanical dashboard clock?

Not really. As an electromechanical clock, it spends most of a minute coiling a spring and then it lets go every minute, on the minute (or so). That loud click you hear is the spring letting go. They all do that. If you're hearing clicking/grinding along the way, you might send it out for service. I understand it's not a good thing to DIY.

North Hollywood Speedometer has a rep for good work:
http://www.nhspeedometer.com/

On the other hand, if it's keeping good time, maybe you just need to push harder on the loud pedal.

loud clock

My clock is loud like yours and keeps perfect time. Like Murray says, you only hear it when the motor is off! It also doesn't sound like the electromechanical clocks I have known which rewind every couple of minutes.

solution for loud ticking to go away

Sorry petert--I do apologize for finding my attempt at humor--not so humorous--since your question was apparently VERY SERIOUS.

My offer is still good if you are dissatisfied with loud ticking--the quartz unit is languishing in my parts box--and the later cars did have quartz inner workings so it would bring relief to the unpleasant sounds of the mechanical innards at work.

Back