How not to Die Welding

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I figure if there is a bunch of enthusiasts who are drawn to home welding, it is the E9 crowd. I enjoy welding and it is easy to get complacent. This was on my feed today.

Last edited:

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Terrifying. I started listening after the 11th mention of "dudes" and then I realized this is too dangerous for me. I am abandoning my used-very-occasionally Lincoln 180 MIG welder. Thanks for the insight Nicad. ;) Seriously, it takes a lot of time to become proficient at welding and, in my opinion, if only required occasionally, why not enlist the services of a professional?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I knew about the chlorinated brake cleaner and Galvanised issues. The WD 40 can I most likely would not have on my table...but now I will certainly never have it. I have tacked things up without gloves...that is over. I have sweated while welding on my trailer a couple of summers ago in a cramped hot space. Won't do that again. I mostly just Mig weld steel brackets for motorbikes. In my cluttered work shop, fire is a worry always. I have a cheap and clunky forced air system on my helmet that seems to work well made by Hobby Air.
For me welding, grinding and bending I couldn't really farm out as it is mostly trial and error stuff fit together as I go. Never had luck on car sheet metal. One day I want to Tig Aluminum and stainless with grace.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you, learned to have even more respect for welding.

Recall welding a cover over a small hole in and engine support, had primed it with welding primer but I guess it was not fully dry. It caught fire and all I could see was the flames inside the engine support through a little hole that was left. Imagining a 3 year resto project up in flames. I learned respect for welding that day. I always have a spray bottle of water close by. Primer burned off and fire went out by itself but not before my adrenal glands were cleared of every molecule of adrenaline available.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I always have a spray bottle of water close by.
Yep. I don't hold back with the water either. I've heard so many stories of projects and even buildings burning down because of a welder.