How the Germans went so wrong

Interesting, I had heard the horror stories about this engine.

I had a 2013 650iX that I sold in 2021 with about 83k on it. Overall I enjoyed the car, but I had several failures that I had never experienced on prior cars, including high and low pressure fuel pumps turbo pipe failures, etc. Watching this makes me feel like I dodged the bullet!

I think Audis are notorious for cam guides breaking and thus, destroying the whole engine.

I think 90k miles is tops for any modern German car and you need to unload the vehicle ASAP.

Last edited:
Here is a 570 HP LS7 that blew up as a contrast..I think I'd like to try this motor in a car one day.

Last edited:
90k miles is tops for any modern German car
As engineering technology improves and competition increases, OEMs & suppliers are able to design their parts w tighter failure margins. IDK what BMW’s parts specs are regarding MTBF, but 100kmiles might seem reasonable.

My DD BMW is at 163kmiles & 13 years old, and works hard to earn its place in my driveway (towing a 5000lbs trailer all summer). It costs me about $1500 a year in repairs + maintenance. This is less than depreciation on a new BMW SAV. And not a spec of rust despite our salty winters. Our last 2 German cars also went over 160kmiles and were similarly reliable. Given the complexity of these vehicles, I think it’s pretty good.

Here is a 570 HP LS7 that blew up as a contrast..I think I'd like to try this motor in a car one day.
GM traced the problem back to one of its cylinder head suppliers. By analyzing heads returned under warranty, it was discovered that some weren't machined properly. On these LS7s, the valve guides and valve seats weren't concentric, which led to severe wear of the valve guides.

Back