How to get my car rolling again

chicane

Reaction score
I have had my coupe parked outside for a year and I recently tried to move it but it would not budge. I believe the parking brake cable is seized.

First, I need the best way to disable a seized parking brake.
Next, If I need to move this thing with my truck where can I hook a chain to the back of the coupe with my truck without destroying the suspension or undercarriage.

I recently went through this senario with an E28. It is possible that the parking brake is not siezed. Try moving it with your tow vehicle. Do not use the rear tow loop attached to the spare tire well unless you want to rebuild that portion of the bodywork. I use a 1" single ply heavy duty 4 ft.endless loop sling, similar to McMaster-Carr 3403T681 with an optional 1 ft. added. I feed a loop over the lower suspension member being careful to place it so the brake line will not be not pinched and pass the other end through the loop and pull it snug. I also use nylon tow cables as opposed to a chain as they are far more gentle.

Tom

I doubt the cables have seized although it is possible, I suspect that the brake shoes have rusted to the inside of the drum. Jack the car up remove one wheel at a time and hit the drum with a heavy mallet , use a screw driver or plain bar through the wheel studs to turn the drum once you can turn it you can stop hitting it and do the other side. If you are going to leave you car for a long time you should leave the parking brake off and put the car in gear if manual or park if auto with a wheel chock for piece of mind.

I doubt the cables have seized although it is possible, I suspect that the brake shoes have rusted to the inside of the drum. Jack the car up remove one wheel at a time and hit the drum with a heavy mallet , use a screw driver or plain bar through the wheel studs to turn the drum once you can turn it you can stop hitting it and do the other side. If you are going to leave you car for a long time you should leave the parking brake off and put the car in gear if manual or park if auto with a wheel chock for piece of mind.

If that's the case I would rather just spray some brake cleaner in there and pull the car with my truck. That would jar the brakes loose with a lot less work.

I recently went through this senario with an E28. It is possible that the parking brake is not siezed. Try moving it with your tow vehicle. Do not use the rear tow loop attached to the spare tire well unless you want to rebuild that portion of the bodywork. I use a 1" single ply heavy duty 4 ft.endless loop sling, similar to McMaster-Carr 3403T681 with an optional 1 ft. added. I feed a loop over the lower suspension member being careful to place it so the brake line will not be not pinched and pass the other end through the loop and pull it snug. I also use nylon tow cables as opposed to a chain as they are far more gentle.

Tom

I really hate to ask this but can you take pictures of where to mount the chaisn/straps.

I think he is talking about the rear A frames attached to the rear subframe. They are probably the strongest "loopable" part in the back.

chicane said:

If that's the case I would rather just spray some brake cleaner in there and pull the car with my truck. That would jar the brakes loose with a lot less work.

I doubt that brake cleaner will be able to work its way round the lip in the drum and the back plate (but hey what do I know) which is designed to stop road spray from getting in the drum. Dragging the car will probably work and as you say it will save you the hastle of taking the wheels off and having the reassurance that you aren't going to damage the shoes, retaining pins +clips.

Back