i don't do any drugs... just speed

hyochem

Reaction score
small problem with my 2800 CS. We recently got it running after it sat in a warehouse for 17 years. it was put away because of a cracked head that never got repaired. new head, running well now. when we got it out of the shop that did the final touches to get it running, they had installed an additional electric fuel pump under the hood that worked along w/ the mechanical fuel pump becuase they claimed the mechanical pump wasn't giving it enough fuel. i took out the electric fuel pump and it ran fine. however, now it will redline in first and 2nd w/ almost no hitches, but in 3rd gear it will begin to cut out around 4500 rpms... the revs still build but it will periodically cut out just for a split second, but repeatedly. it does not cut out on heel toe downshifts or anything, only when the engine is under load (acceleration). of note... a couple bolts on the top of the engine are stripped... one of the ten or so that holds on the gasket cover, and the one right behind the coolant pump on the very front of the head. also, when i floor it in 1st and 2nd to redline, it smokes a good deal, but not under normal acceleration. when i run up to redline in 3rd and let it cut out but keep it floored till it finally gets to 6k, smoke will fill the cabin for a minute, then dissapate after i let off and cruise in 4th. sorry about the long post, any ideas?
-my RX-7 did this exact same thing at the last race i took it to. after turning the fuel pressure from 4lbs to about 2and a half, it stopped doing it. relevant?

Back