I may never buy another new car again

corsachili

Reaction score
I love the new BMWs but I can't imagine what the itinerant monetary and psychic costs are to owning a new vehicle these days. To wit, I stopped by Santa Monica BMW this afternoon to inquire about having them install an aftermarket waterpump in Chela's M Roadster. To say that the service advisor was an aloof prick would do him justice. I playfully mentioned that if BMW would make waterpumps that didn't have plastic impellers I'd have bought one of those and he rather rudely informed me that they "don't do that anymore". Now, I understand that for liability reasons they can't install non-OE BMW parts, but he doesn't have to be rude about it does he? Does he?

If all I have to drive for the rest of my life is my F150 and my CSL I should probably count myself lucky. I love the performance of new cars, but man what a money pit and emotional nightmare to maintain.

I'm not buying that TCO is lower than it used to be.............I think for cars in BMW's category, it's higher by large amount.

Pissed by the Pier in Santa Monica,
TJ

Just go buy a 2 year old HONDA ACCORD EX with 15,000 miles on it for $19K and drive it until you are 50 ----- make that 60. That will be low TCO.

LAte bro.

Also Delimon and I will be in town next Thursday through Saturday.

Shawn

See the last Roundel

where a Lexus guy states that a 10-year old Lexus is more reliable than a new BMW.

I was a bit surprised that one, this could be true, and two, that it would be printed in the Roundel.

But my lowest TCO is likely the '88 Toyota Corolla that I got two year ago, one-owner, for $1500. Nice and clean, still runs like a top, has needed only gas, oil and water in that time.

This weekend I gotta work on the coupe... again.

In Aberdeen Scotland the local at the BM dealer are the most arrogant bunch of bars**ds you could ever meet. A friend has a Z3 and has had nothing but trouble with it and them unfortunately...

Couple of daily hacks for me 1992 Audi 100 quattro estate - £400 last year and an old Saab 900i which just refuses to die - £100 about 3 years ago! I guess my TCO is pretty low

Malc

Dealing with Dealers or Stealers

As an experienced old BMW owner I'm surprised that you would even consider a BMW Dealer for any service needed--even for a new one--why bother getting so angry and your blood pressure so out of whack--

Just find a good Independent who specializes in BMW's--there are more of them than Dealer/Stealers here in the Southland--several of whom are within easy distance of Santa Monica--suggest you get in touch with the Coupe King in North Long Beach for a referral

Go easy on the blood pressure--it ain't worth it to expend so much negative energy on the Stealers rep--and if your ego has been bruised--bruise their wallet--get even by spending your $'s elsewhere--it's the free market way!

Absolutely Murray. Here's the situation. If I had the car up at our home in Los Gatos I'd pull it in to the garage and do the job myself. I'm sure I could do it in one Saturday. Unfortunately down here in Santa Monica I have zero tools, space, or ability to work on the car myself. The only reason I even asked the dealer is because we live exactly one block away and it would be so convenient.

There are several apparently reputable independent BMW shops here in Santa Monica, and ultimately it will be one of them that replaces the waterpump on Chel's MMMMMMMM car.

I didn't expect them to say they'd do it, but I certainly didn't expect the attitude. I was walking by and thought I'd peek my head in and ask. You're right though, it is a free market, and it's likely I will not ever spend a single dollar at Santa Monica BMW.

Hell, you can't even find manual gearbox cars around here, everyone drives automatics.

Re: Dealing with Dealers or Stealers

As an experienced old BMW owner I'm surprised that you would even consider a BMW Dealer for any service needed--even for a new one--why bother getting so angry and your blood pressure so out of whack--

Just find a good Independent who specializes in BMW's--there are more of them than Dealer/Stealers here in the Southland--several of whom are within easy distance of Santa Monica--suggest you get in touch with the Coupe King in North Long Beach for a referral

Go easy on the blood pressure--it ain't worth it to expend so much negative energy on the Stealers rep--and if your ego has been bruised--bruise their wallet--get even by spending your $'s elsewhere--it's the free market way!

I have a pretty good relationship with my dealership. Even so I NEVER take it in unless it is for straight up warranty work. Most of the guys there are familar with the fact that I do my own work. It is not only a matter of saving money but a matter of making sure the job is done right the first time and I am the only one who can get make that happen.

I'm in newbury park, you can make it here in 40 minutes(up the coast on nice twisty roads)If you need a tool jack stands or whatever!I have a close friend with a german car repair shop in simi valley that's great and the work on the modern stuff wit all the computers all the time.805-527-6668

and this is why when it came time to replace my 98 Jeep, I bought a 1987 BMW 535is and had it painted and converted to euro bumpers. It is so much more enjoyable that even when I do need to fix something, the dollar signs don't weigh on me the way they did with a newer/less interesting car.

Besides, I needed something fun to drive when the weather wasn't compatible with coupe driving.
[/img]

I just LOVE it when I take my 99 528it into the dealerships and they tell me they are taking service appointments a week from some day next week!!!! I want the piece of s*** repaired now!!!

Back