I really like this car.

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
We picked it up in Germany. The history file shows that the motor has had some "work". I believe it as it can certainly get out of it's own way on the Autobahn. Still has some needs but I really, really......really like the car!

Attachments

• SANY1129.jpg
    SANY1129.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 245
  • SANY1130.jpg
    SANY1130.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 261
  • SANY1132.jpg
    SANY1132.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 227

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I really really like it also! I'm not a huge e12 fan, but they look great in M flavor, especially with the factory decals.

I'm not a fan of '70's and 80's sedans with a downward sloping trunk. I like level trunks. Downward sloping trunks aren't my thing. The jaguar would be one of a few exceptions.

loloe13

Reaction score
looks beautiful! good find. looks neat
i like the tri stripes side and the black rear spoiler.
is the front deep spoiler original? seems very aggressive for a 70's car

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
one of my favorite details of the e12 was the clock with the ring switch around it to control fan speed.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
looks beautiful! good find. looks neat
i like the tri stripes side and the black rear spoiler.
is the front deep spoiler original? seems very aggressive for a 70's car

That spoiler is OEM M535i awesomeness!

TodB

Reaction score
Wow, not many of these left - great find!. Sure would like to see it. Bring it to German Car Day At Larz/Brookline, MA in June or the Labor day event at Lime Rock!

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great find.
I love the e12's and especially an m535.
I own an e28 M5 so this is my older sibling.

Gary

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. My son has an E34 M5. In my opinion, it's a breakthrough car in terms of solid build and quality. Anything after is the impression of build quality; anything before...well, it's E9 quality. That's not a bad thing. This car has a driving experience like an E9. Very airy and light.
Here it is at the Nurburgring.

Attachments

• SANY0902.jpg
    SANY0902.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 125
  • SANY0892.jpg
    SANY0892.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 127

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. My son has an E34 M5. In my opinion, it's a breakthrough car in terms of solid build and quality. Anything after is the impression of build quality; anything before...well, it's E9 quality. That's not a bad thing. This car has a driving experience like an E9. Very airy and light.
Here it is at the Nurburgring.

I think you meant E12? An E34 would be from 89-95.
These photos are an E12. :wink:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think you meant E12? An E34 would be from 89-95.
These photos are an E12. :wink:

I think he's saying that his son's car is an E34, and his "this" car feels like an E9. Two different cars, pictures are of his new M535i on the Autobahn. No pics of E34. :) The M535i was a precursor to the M5, both in E12 and E28 flavor. Both were just a sportier version of the base model. The M5 starting with E28 M5 as you know was an entirely different animal...

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
What was the role of the E28 M535i within the 5 Series model range?
Though the E28 M535i was the direct descendant of the E12 M535i, the two models fulfilled rather different roles within the 5 Series range. While the E12 M535i was an extremely low-production niche model in the vein of the M30-powered E12s that had been hand-assembled by special request at BMW Motorsport since the early 1970s, the E28 M535i was always intended to be a mass-produced car sold in much greater numbers than its earlier namesake.

I borrowed that from the M Registry. The E12 was built by Motorsport. It had a bigger engine, a close ratio Getrag gearbox, limited slip, Recaros, etc. It was a "Skunk Works" car. The E28 was built on the regular assembly line and existed to profile the new M Teknic line of body add ons. There were less than a thousand left hand drive E12s built. The introduction of the 12 M535 came six years before the E28 M5 so you will see evolutionary changes in performance.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I love sensible sedans. Friend of mines Dad bought an E12 after his Son and him wrecked the E9 and family Saab 99 in a winter driving accident. That E9 was what got me in love with vintage BMWs.