Ideas for the Ever Given

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Any clever ideas for the Ever Given ship that is blocking the Suez Canal? I know we had a thread on the best hydraulic jacks, so maybe we take that to the next level. I know we have the talent and the motivation to keep gas prices low.

Assuming you can't tow it off after she's been partially unloaded I'd cut the grounded bow section off just forward of the nearest watertight door that's not aground.
Then tow the ship clear from the grounded section.
They did the same thing to a White Star Line ship (SS Suvic) 100 years or so ago.

Is there a problem with current also? I haven't read anything about it, just saw photos.

How about another huge ship to push the side? If all else fails, call the Russians, they'd figure something out. ;)

Some explosives used somewhere seems like a good idea eventually.

164724794_10159519777080739_1772823457647235875_o.jpg

Good ideas, when I saw the diagonally stuck picture SFDon's wooden mallet skills came to mind. I also decided to stop complaining about my family members parking diagonally in our driveway.

Anything other than buoyancy is not going to be the answer ::confidently:: They're going to have to dredge / bulldoze a berm or earthen dam 360 degrees around it and fill that with water. Once it's floating in its own little canal lock they can check it for damage and rotate it to align with the canal and pump it back down to sea level. They'd better remember to close a few tugboats in there at the same time.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Guys I just received a thank you note from El Sisi in Egypt for our very useful ideas. He would not say which of our ideas saved the day to protect the innocent.
He signed the note with a very warm "If you ever need anything ask somebody else".

Anything other than buoyancy is not going to be the answer ::confidently:: They're going to have to dredge / bulldoze a berm or earthen dam 360 degrees around it and fill that with water. Once it's floating in its own little canal lock they can check it for damage and rotate it to align with the canal and pump it back down to sea level. They'd better remember to close a few tugboats in there at the same time.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about.
At last, an honest man. My kinda guy.
Given me an idea - The I don't know what I'm talking about club. Check your egos at the door and welcome to some stimulating conversation.

First motion: Adopt this as the club constitution:

Given me an idea - The I don't know what I'm talking about club. Check your egos at the door and welcome to some stimulating conversation.

Reminded me of the "Where does a gorilla sleep?" joke. In my boating days, we'd just all go to the stern to raise the bow up off the sand bar. Of course, the boat was 14 feet long, not 400 meters like the Ever Given spans. Two or three kids could really do a lot of 'pitch control' in a small sailboat like that. And don't forget to raise the centerboard!

First motion: Adopt this as the club constitution:
Classic! This was the best laugh of today

Back