Idle speed actuators?

nashvillecat

Reaction score
I do not have a serious issue with the OEM style auxiliary air valve except that they seem to have tendency not to seal completely - creating a slightly high(or after adjustment) a low idle. I know this because I can stick my finger in the orifice and detect the vacuum when engine is at normal running temperature. Plugging the hose is short sighted inasmuch as the air valve is essential for cold starting (with or without a cold start injector**).

I tried three (new - out of the box) auxiliary air valves. Despite having the same part number, each exhibits slight differences when tested in boiling water with a calibrated thermometer (or even more directly heated with a propane torch). My first inclination was to do away with it completely and rig a manual choke setup of some sort, then it occurred to me that the newer all-electronic idle speed controllers have been tested for years. Has anyone out there successfully retrofitted say a "BMW 1 286 688" or a "VDO 408 202 009 003 model"? **/ ***

**While on the subject, I must admit to having disconnected the cold start injector in that I find it wholly unnecessary except for the very coldest of starts. Otherwise, it creates a much too rich situation. And even though the system may be slightly jury rigged, an exhaust gas analyzer, a quick look at my plugs and the tailpipe tells me all is relatively clean.

***VDO previously posted a comprehensive on-line catalog with fuel injection-related parts. The address previously listed no longer seems to work, or requires registration/reregistration. The the information might still be available by searching "VDO Catalog engine actuators" - as a start.

damienh

Reaction score
Hi there, I just cam across your auxiliary air valve post. And although it's old, wondered if you had had any success ? my valve is not functioning and I'm looking for options

damienh

Reaction score
Hi there, I just cam across your auxiliary air valve post. And although it's old, wondered if you had had any success ? my valve is not functioning and I'm looking for options

nashvillecat

Reaction score
damienh said:

I modified the original post since the VDO address does not seem to work. A friend "borrowed" the electrically controlled air valve on another project and he claims it works. He gave me a standard style Bosch unit (although I think it was wrapped in a Volvo box). It sealed better than the others and that is what I am using currently. As I mentioned, I didn't consider this super critical but find it personally annoying.

The stock valve is sealed and realistically prevents any service other than cleaning/lubricating the orifice of grit, debris or carbon. Perhaps this is part of the design of having the valve leak at first so that as it cruds up it will seal more completely.:? I really don't know.

So, I don't have much more information for you, except that other non-BMW water cooled and fuel injected cars use the same valve (For example: Volvo, Mercedes, Citroen and Saab). Obviously, you could consider widening your search for a replacement to include those makers. And, maybe some of the users of those devices have found a better approach that can be found on one of their bulletin boards?

hth.

nashvillecat

Reaction score
damienh said:

I modified the original post since the VDO address does not seem to work. A friend "borrowed" the electrically controlled air valve on another project and he claims it works. He gave me a standard style Bosch unit (although I think it was wrapped in a Volvo box). It sealed better than the others and that is what I am using currently. As I mentioned, I didn't consider this super critical but find it personally annoying.

The stock valve is sealed and realistically prevents any service other than cleaning/lubricating the orifice of grit, debris or carbon. Perhaps this is part of the design of having the valve leak at first so that as it cruds up it will seal more completely.:? I really don't know.

So, I don't have much more information for you, except that other non-BMW water cooled and fuel injected cars use the same valve (For example: Volvo, Mercedes, Citroen and Saab). Obviously, you could consider widening your search for a replacement to include those makers. And, maybe some of the users of those devices have found a better approach that can be found on one of their bulletin boards?

hth.