Idle speed with A/C on

Milton Salazar

Reaction score
Hi Guys , My E9 ( 3.0 csi fjord blue ) is doing better. One of the problems I am facing is how to raise rpm to compensate for additional load when A/C compressor is on. Every time I have to reduce speed or stop the car, it stall if I do not accelerate . I have been force to do some kind of "heel and toe" to avoid the car to stall.
Any ideas ??

jmackro

Reaction score
What sort of an A/C compressor are you using? Ever since I swapped my York for a Sanden rotary, this became less of a problem.

If you still have the York, your only (simple) choice is to manually re-adjust your idle speed in the spring and fall.

Honolulu

Reaction score
The carbed cars had a dashpot that was used to keep the idle speed from dropping too far/fast. I wonder if that could be used to bump your idle speed when the compressor is on. Otherwise, a solenoid activated when the compressor is on...

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am sure that SFDon was going down the same route as this by asking what the idle speed was, but here goes.

You sure that there is not another problem, points, spark plugs, pickup points (low voltage points under the normal points)?
Anyway, to adjust the tick over on a csi is best done with a sequence of actions, not just the idle screw and not the large linkage screw that effectively opens the throttle. It is all based upon the interaction of the idle screw, the mix done on the processor, the throttle position sensor etc. The exact procedure needs to be looked up, but it is not the obvious large screw on the throttle linkage. If you are stuck I can look it up.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Milton Salazar

Reaction score
Michael any suggestions of how should we star working ?
By the way
2e73b833-a937-4982-b4a3-23288b3eb74a 2.jpg
cbfda67d-c795-424a-b9e6-6dbaa756fc8a.jpg
I have made some changes in the engine bay
cbfda67d-c795-424a-b9e6-6dbaa756fc8a.jpg

jmackro

Reaction score
Thanks Jay , it is a sander compressor. The idle is adjusted to 950 rpm

I didn't register that your car was injected; my 1970 2800 is carbureted so playing with the idle speed is simple. With injection, some sort of solenoid or air-bleed valve, wired into the compressor circuit (as stevehose suggests) is probably the way to go.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
With a solenoid you can/will trigger the tps transition from idle to cruise.