Ignition Lock repair

RIQUE

Reaction score
Hi all, I am having problems starting my 72CSA. When I turn the key I need to turn the key as far as I can clock wise and push in. Most of the times it starts but sometimes key does not turn far enough to actuate the
switch. I removed everything and the switch is fine. It seems the key in the lock should turn a tad further than it does. Anybody disassemble the lock or know how I can solve this? Thanks Rique

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Sounds like the electrical switch is either moving or has rotated from where it should be. Does this make sense. I'd look hard at the electrical switch before messing with the key lock parts.

Honolulu

Reaction score
Ricky...

The switch consists of two parts, as you realize by now.

I can't imagine the mechanical section going bad, it's basically just the lock cylinder into which you stick the key. However, occasionally someone comes up with one that is simply worn out.

The electrical portion usually does not fail either, but it is secured in the steering column by a tiny setscrew. The screw is only about 1/8 inch long and a millimeter wide. Truly small. Once in a while, the setscrew can get loose just a little, and if it does the electrical switch can rotate to a point where the "start" function is rotationally just a little past the range of the lock cylinder. Result: no workie, no startie. Sounds just like your description of the problem.

So. Can you start the car using the electrical switch, removed from the steering column but still connected to the wires? If you can, then the switch is okay.

Does the lock cylinder, without the electrical switch mounted, seem to work okay? I bet it does.

Reassemble with the electrical portion fully rotated against the lock cylinder, and snug up the setscrew. Should solve the problem.

One more hint: the factory put a dab of paint on the setscrew to keep it in place. After reinstallation, you might do the same or similar.

HTH.