IGNITION SWITCH

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've a bad ignition switch and I plan to install a new one. Any tips to make the installation of the new switch and it's wiring harness easier? Thanks.

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6

Ignition switch replacement

Are you sure the switch is bad? I have found that the grease gets old and contacts corroded. Friends have had success taking the switch apart cleaning and regreasing. Maybe worth a shot.

In any event. replacing the switch is very straigtforward once you find the little retaining set(grub) screw. I can not recall if it requires a tiny hex wrench or a simple jeweler's flat head, but I have found it to be a little bit more than a minor inconvenience - when you misplace the screw!

A magnet can be your best friend.

If you are replacing more than the electrics, meaning the lock tumblers- that is far more involved. I suspect that only someone who has recently tackled that task could be of assistance. In my case it was too long ago for me to remember anything other than a lot of cursing.

BAD IGNITION SWITCH?

This is a intermitten problem. When the engined is turned off after a long
drive and the car is restarted within 5 to 10 minutes, it happens. There is
relay clicking noise but the engine does not crank. The two remedies I've
found to start the car- let the car sit and cool itself down or wiggle the key for a few seconds. Coupe guru Car Nelson explained to me today about a bad ignition switch, as a switch gets warm, good electrical contact is lost
and as it cools down electrical contact is reestablashed, and usually a new
switch will solve the problem. Thanks guys for your inputs.

Bert

Back