Ignition timing marks

Bwana

Reaction score
Where are they? A real n00b question I know but I can't tell from the FSM pictures where the little port to view the flywheel is. It may be covered up by sound deadening on my car if it's on top. Or can the car be timed from the front on the crankshaft dampner?

Any tricks to timing other than having the car warmed up and the vaccum advance disconnected? Is the timing any different that what's listed in the Manual? I've replaced the points with a Petronix unit but am using the OEM coil.

'72 CSi

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
I also have Pertronix. You can't use the rec timing when you use that system (well, not in my case ). My mechanic tried (and charged me for his time..hrs) trying to set the timing and it didn't work...car would not go over 4000rpm. I told him that he would have advance the timing, and when the car would start sputtering at high rpms then back off a little. It worked...this was rec either on this site, or MB for the 280sl by someone who called Pertronix.
abe

Last edited:

Bwana

Reaction score
Oh great! Wasn't anticipating a second problem. I can sort thru that though. But where is the port to view the flywheel?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Viewing hole is right next to the starter. Timing mark on the crank damper is too hard to see, it is right below the distributor.

Stefan

Reaction score
Oh great! Wasn't anticipating a second problem. I can sort thru that though. But where is the port to view the flywheel?

Because it's hard too see the viewing hole, it's also difficult to reach with stroboscope. A tip is not to work with the stroboscope in daylight. In a garage or outside in the evening is to prefer.