I'm no mechanic, but this can't be right

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i dont really know

it seems that you have the return pipe without function, and the return tube in the deposit closed with a screw

relax, my car is running ok and has no trace of the second tube, I assume that someone "renewed" your installation back to an old version (mine is 1971)

in my case the fuel pump is mechanical, i have seen a detail of the forth and return system in the walloth diagrams, refer to them to understand what might have happened, and look for the changed parts

or, better, let a real expert here explain what might have happened, ;-)

but, if your car runs, and you do not have fuel in the trunk comming from the cut tube, no problem

regards

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
SURPRISED !

and what is the function of the open ended tube that comes from the engine area ?

i may understand a fuel return system i.e. when the fuel pressure is too high for the engine fuel demand

isn´t that the purpose ?

regards, and thanks for the explanation

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
The other end of the capped hose should go to the gray plastic tank forward of the fuel filler door. It is part of the US emissions controls for fuel emissions. Maybe the loose hose end in the picture should connect here?

The rest-of-the-world cars just vent the fumes out the bottom of the trunk floor.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The other end of the capped hose should go to the gray plastic tank forward of the fuel filler door. It is part of the US emissions controls for fuel emissions. Maybe the loose hose end in the picture should connect here?

The rest-of-the-world cars just vent the fumes out the bottom of the trunk floor.

you will take the advantage of greener trees, I guess :-D

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
The other end of the capped hose should go to the gray plastic tank forward of the fuel filler door.

This looks more like a fuel return line, perhaps for a fuel injected car. If it were the tank vent hose that goes to the expansion tank then you would have fuel starvation issues caused by a vacuum in the tank. I had the same experience when I pinched the line that goes to the expansion tank. Eventually the fuel pump created enough of a vacuum that it couldn't compete.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is a '74 US carb'd car. Ill try to trace the line back to see where it goes and post some pix. I will say that the gas smell in the trunk is pretty strong.

bmw art car

Reaction score
I think too it's from a fuel injected car.
The return line to the tank to be exact.
someone might have put in a carburetor and disconnected the line
as it's not needed.
a bit more info about your engine would help.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is the standard carbureted fuel tank from all CS coupes. The injected tanks have separate fuel suction (fuel feed and return line) and level sender devices. Someone just jury rigged a return line nipple by welding it to the tank.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
'74 US coupes with carbs had a fuel return line into the tank (mine did, anyway.) The Zenith carbs had a vacuum actuated valve which diverted excess fuel back to the tank via the return line. I believe this feature helped to reduce vapor lock. When I converted to Webers, there was no provision for a return line so I hooked it up to an unused vacuum line connection on the air filter housing to take care of any fumes.