"I'm telling the truth, I really did hit a deer!"

1674854771292.png

Oh my, that deer didn’t know what happened. That car is a total loss due to the deployed air bag. Once the deer is removed, it may look wholly fixable, yet new airbag sensors, new airbag, new seatbelt, seatbelt receiver & possibly repairing the seat frame.

When I was hit from the driver side front of our 2004 X3 6-speed manual, it sustained similar damage. The driver airbag went off, the seatbelt locked, airbag never touched me. The impact moved the top of the strut back 6 inches, broke the anti-sway-bar with enough force to fracture the oil pan. Adding insult to injury, I had just filled the gas tank.

The repair estimate was $12,500. The insurance company paid us $11,950. That insurance money to paid VSR for Athena’s rocker panel & floor repairs in 2014.

Oh my, that deer didn’t know what happened. That car is a total loss due to the deployed air bag. Once the deer is removed, it may look wholly fixable, yet new airbag sensors, new airbag, new seatbelt, seatbelt receiver & possibly repairing the seat frame.

When I was hit from the driver side front of our 2004 X3 6-speed manual, it sustained similar damage. The driver airbag went off, the seatbelt locked, airbag never touched me. The impact moved the top of the strut back 6 inches, broke the anti-sway-bar with enough force to fracture the oil pan. Adding insult to injury, I had just filled the gas tank.

The repair estimate was $12,500. The insurance company paid us $11,950. That insurance money to paid VSR for Athena’s rocker panel & floor repairs in 2014.
It's always a numbers game for the insurance company. Whatever works best for them is how it goes. The ACV (now shown as estimated retail value) is $30k for that Mustang but it has aftermarket parts on it. Shops don't like dealing with non-OEM parts when it comes to production body shops, usually adding extra time, cost can be high for parts or parts not available, so the shops will exaggerate the sheet value for repairs to total a vehicle. Not to mention the owner might have said, "I don't want that car anymore" which actually happens and numbers are messed with to make it total. I've seen it all.

I see cars daily that don't look like they should be a total loss, but we're dealing with insurance companies and they make the rules.

that could be a daily drive around my neighborhood. there are so many deer here in ATL you have to be very careful driving around sundown. a couple of weeks ago there was a family of 5 deer just at the side of the road 5 houses down the street from me. i just stopped the 911 and let them cross the road and go on.

My favorite hit a deer story-

Brother in law 1 plans to store his Camaro at his lake house, so he calls brother in law 2 and asks for a ride home. Brother in law 2 agrees, on one condition "we gotta be on the road by 7. I don't want to be driving around up north at dusk when the deer are on the move." B1 agrees.

B2 arrives at 6. B1 is half finished replacing the bathroom floor, and hasn't started winterizing the Camaro. B2 helps with the floor and putting up the Camaro, and at 9 they depart.

At 9:07 a deer jumps out in front of them and B2 hits it.

B2 calls Sister in law 2 and says: "I've hit a deer. We are ok, but I'm going to be late." S2 says: "Oh no. Your truck. You loved that truck. How bad is it?" B2 says: "My truck is fine. But your car is a mess."

Back