Improvements on my 3.0 CS - PHOTOS

eltonjohan

Reaction score
The winters in Sweden are dark and cold, so perfect time for some work on the car. This years project was to improve things not visible from outside (my girlfriend questions if I really have been in the garage since she can't see any difference). Engine bay repaint, front axle, rear axle, engine etc are now better looking.

Some before and after pictures:

eltonjohan

Reaction score
The winters in Sweden are dark and cold, so perfect time for some work on the car. This years project was to improve things not visible from outside (my girlfriend questions if I really have been in the garage since she can't see any difference). Engine bay repaint, front axle, rear axle, engine etc are now better looking.

Some before and after pictures:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Very very nice! Its always such a good feeling when you're done doing work like that.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Very very nice! Its always such a good feeling when you're done doing work like that.

DJSimca

Reaction score
eltonjohan said:
The winters in Sweden are dark and cold

Same in Denmark :cry: :D

Joking apart, your work looks FANTASTIC! Did you just clean the parts or also renew some parts?

I like the look of the engine without the big air filter. Has the engine been tuned?

Re. your BBS rims, what size and offset are they? I have a similar set of 16x8 BBS wheels with offset 20 - but they don't fit up in front :(

DJSimca

Reaction score
eltonjohan said:
The winters in Sweden are dark and cold

Same in Denmark :cry: :D

Joking apart, your work looks FANTASTIC! Did you just clean the parts or also renew some parts?

I like the look of the engine without the big air filter. Has the engine been tuned?

Re. your BBS rims, what size and offset are they? I have a similar set of 16x8 BBS wheels with offset 20 - but they don't fit up in front :(

eltonjohan

Reaction score
A lot of the parts are bought new. The rest cleaned of and re-painted. I was lucky since everything underneath the car was totally covered in sticky tectyl (anti-corrosive grease). A bit of work removing it, but the surface underneath was surprisingly good.

The engine hasn't really got that much attention: it has cleaned and repainted block, new gaskets, oil seals, timing chain, oil pump chain, chain tensioner/ guides, rocker shaft, rocker arms.
I'm not sure if the tripple dellortos add any power - but they sound nice, similar to an old fishing boat...

The BBS RS are 16x8/8,5. I can't recall if they are ET18 or 21 or 23 right now. The fit is very tight at the front, no space even for a balance weight before hitting the suspensions. Seems like you need a spacer.

eltonjohan

Reaction score
A lot of the parts are bought new. The rest cleaned of and re-painted. I was lucky since everything underneath the car was totally covered in sticky tectyl (anti-corrosive grease). A bit of work removing it, but the surface underneath was surprisingly good.

The engine hasn't really got that much attention: it has cleaned and repainted block, new gaskets, oil seals, timing chain, oil pump chain, chain tensioner/ guides, rocker shaft, rocker arms.
I'm not sure if the tripple dellortos add any power - but they sound nice, similar to an old fishing boat...

The BBS RS are 16x8/8,5. I can't recall if they are ET18 or 21 or 23 right now. The fit is very tight at the front, no space even for a balance weight before hitting the suspensions. Seems like you need a spacer.

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
BBS Rims

It looks like you took your rims apart.

I've been thinking about doing the same to mine (to change the color of the "basketweave".

Can you tell me how you did it?

Air wrench??

Was it a lot of work ??

Any tips to offer??

Thanks.

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
BBS Rims

It looks like you took your rims apart.

I've been thinking about doing the same to mine (to change the color of the "basketweave".

Can you tell me how you did it?

Air wrench??

Was it a lot of work ??

Any tips to offer??

Thanks.

eltonjohan

Reaction score
laldog:
Yes, I tool my rims apart for restoration. Not especially difficult. A normal "ring tool" fits.
My outer rings had a lot of dents, scratches, oxidation so I left them to a company that welded in new material. After receiving them I polished them to mirror finish.
The paint job was performed by me, had to use etch primer to make the paint stick to the aluminium center piece. Most time was spent with sand paper to get the surfaces nice before painting.
Before assembling the three rim parts a sort of glue where applied to get it air tight. New screws were bought from http://www.titanium-touch.de/felgenschrauben_uk.html
The screws where lock tited and torqued in "star pattern".

A good advice is to use paint remover on the middle part to minimize sand paper work.

Separated rim:

Applied etch primer:

Painting (also some Hartge split rims):

Paint remover:

New screws:

Finished:

Dirty job:

Good luck!

eltonjohan

Reaction score
laldog:
Yes, I tool my rims apart for restoration. Not especially difficult. A normal "ring tool" fits.
My outer rings had a lot of dents, scratches, oxidation so I left them to a company that welded in new material. After receiving them I polished them to mirror finish.
The paint job was performed by me, had to use etch primer to make the paint stick to the aluminium center piece. Most time was spent with sand paper to get the surfaces nice before painting.
Before assembling the three rim parts a sort of glue where applied to get it air tight. New screws were bought from http://www.titanium-touch.de/felgenschrauben_uk.html
The screws where lock tited and torqued in "star pattern".

A good advice is to use paint remover on the middle part to minimize sand paper work.

Separated rim:

Applied etch primer:

Painting (also some Hartge split rims):

Paint remover:

New screws:

Finished:

Dirty job:

Good luck!

dblsprt68

Reaction score
Looks FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!! You are an excellent detailer! I like doing stuff like this also. Keep up the great work. 8) David