Installing AC in a non-AC CS

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've been reading threads about AC upgrades and options including the following: http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9633 My coupe was a very early 69 2800CS which did not come with AC installed. Now that the dash has been entirely removed and the heater is shot, the time has come to make the decision on whether to install AC or not. I've reviewed Coupe King's kits, but I think I'll still be short a few parts.

Are there any threads I've missed that document installing an AC unit from scratch along with any do's and dont's?

Bwana

Reaction score
Yes, I have installed an A/C into my CSi but several folks here paved the way.

Are you going to do it yourself or have someone do it for you?

I've checked out CoupeKing's and it looks pretty good if not a little spendy $$$$. I've not seen it in person so I'm in no position to judge it's completeness. Maybe somebody here has installed it?

I followed TheHackMechanics lead and went with a compressor and condenser from ICE auto air conditioning in San Diego.

No part numbers on the invoice but if you call them, they probably can help you out.

They (at least a few years ago) could provide the Sanden compressor to replace the POS York plus a new cross flow condenser coil.

Actually, I thought Stevehose had a pretty good write up on an A/C install. I can't find it right now, hunt around for that. EDIT: Just checked the link, that's the thread I remembered. Brilliant write up!

The big problem with CoupeKing's set up is it doesn't include all the OEM interior stuff. Here's what I have, less the left side consol cover (all still for sale). The covers are not sacred, you could probably have some sort of cool cover made up.

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11691

The way I went was to get all the components and have a guy in town that was familiar with Coupes install it, it including a new A/C wiring harness. He put in monster dual electric fans in front of the condenser. They run all the time when the A/C in on, not just when the compressor is in operation (like on most cars) which keeps the cooling system ahead of the heat (Houston, after all). I can get the model number of the fans if you progress this project. Most any A/C place can duplicate the hoses with no problem. You have to decide if you want the utilitarian guy-on-the-street hoses or the uber cool ones from CoupeKing.

It's definitely worth it, we were out today in 96F weather and felt fine. Stay with the R12 though, the R134 doesn't do it.

Last edited:

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks

I will not be doing the work, I'll have my local mechanic do it. It's 98 and humid here today so if I ever want to drive it in the summer, AC and some dynomat will be required. Since I'm replacing and recovering all of the dash, it would be nice to have a fresh control for the thermostat. I'll keep you posted on the progress. I'm committed to installing AC, it's now a question of finding the parts.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Heater By-Pass

BWANA,

Did you implement the heater by-pass when you put everything back together? If so did you notice a difference?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The heater bypass makes a big difference because hot coolant is not being pumped into the heater area and causing heat soak into the cabin when you don't need it.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks

I figure that since the heater, AC, dash, glass, etc. are all out of the car now is also the time to include this enhancement. I live in SC so heat is only needed 2 months out of the year. I'm looking forward to the AC since driving the car in the summer is pretty miserable, even with the sunroof open.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Update

Update: Console sides and vent covers from CoupeKing, the sides will need to be recovered. Most of the interior bits from other forum members. Condenser, Compressor, Hose Kit (might be useful, might not but will have hoses made locally regardless), dryer and mounting hardware ordered from Nostalgic Air.

It will be a few weeks before all of the parts are back in the shop and ready for pre-assembly. In the meantime and with the dash and complete interior out of the car, to dynamat or not. What about frogskin (or similar paint on applications).

BTW, someone asked about the vinyl match. I'll get the info when I drop off the consoles, hopefully this week. The last time I stopped by the owner was not in and the person there could not help me in the limited amount of time I had.

jmackro

Reaction score
driving the car in the summer is pretty miserable, even with the sunroof open.

Yea, when I was just getting into e9's, I figured that having a sunroof would greatly enhance cooling - after all, hot air rises, doesn't it? What I learned is that the solar heating from having a transparent roof is >> than any cooling from convection or air flow.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Update

Console sides and dash now back from Bucket Stitch and befitting of the dash from Bela. I'm not sure how well the stitch matches what was original, but the vinyl match looks perfect. Dynomat installed along with the evaporator and heater box. Coupe King supplying the switches for the AC and Fan and hopefully I can clean up the knobs.

Has anyone tried painting the AC vent plate and/or heater face? Can you buy or has anyone made replacement stickers?

I've been trying to upload pictures but I cannot get these to upload. Will try and post later.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I believe the lettering is stenciled on, making this more difficult

Console sides and dash now back from Bucket Stitch and befitting of the dash from Bela. I'm not sure how well the stitch matches what was original, but the vinyl match looks perfect. Dynomat installed along with the evaporator and heater box. Coupe King supplying the switches for the AC and Fan and hopefully I can clean up the knobs.

Has anyone tried painting the AC vent plate and/or heater face? Can you buy or has anyone made replacement stickers?

I've been trying to upload pictures but I cannot get these to upload. Will try and post later.

Henrik

Reaction score
Hi!

I made a replacement sticker for my AC console. It's made in matt black and white letters and it's hard to see the difference between the original and this one.(Can supply with photos later this month).

The sticker where made with a laser engraving machine.

Henrik

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had Troy send it back. He could have done the artwork but creating a stencil and then painting each piece was too much work, especially with the uneven surface.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Mine are now at the painters. They are going to see if they can make a stencil. I'll post updates in another week once I get some feedback from them.

Henrik

Reaction score
Hi!

Here are a few photos of the sticker on the AC bracket. I think it´s very discreet and close to original. AC is not original in my car so I do not know the history of this console, but it looks like it has been powder coated one time or another.
Anyway, it has the same surface as the sticker ....
At first I thought I would make a stencil, but rejected the idea when I found the result was satisfactory. It is not difficult to make a stencil once the engraving machine has been programmed The laser can be adjusted to cut through the label instead of stopping halfway through. I´m not sure this is the way to go if the AC console surface is uneven.

Attachments

• P1000174.jpg
    P1000174.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 228
  • P1000175.jpg
    P1000175.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 217

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
Haven't checked this forum in a while as I've been working on the tii.

The retrofit I did to my CSi all those years ago was unique in that, through Bob Poggi at ICE, I got a new triple-row evaporator core that was exactly the same physical dimensions as the stock evaporator core, so it fit in the stock evaporator housing. The core and the expansion valve were optimized for R134a.

IMHO, any a/c retrofit or rejuvenation should probably include a rotary-style compressor and the largest parallel flow condenser that can physically be stuffed into the nose of the car. I did those as well.

If I had to do it again, I'd stick with R12 (as I am with my tii), but the R134a works well enough for the way I use the car. Combined with tinting the windows and installing the heater bypass valve, it has to be really snot-sucking hot and humid for it to get overwhelmed.

I have a lengthy chapter on all this in my upcoming Bentley book.

--Rob