Installing new drip rail trim

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here is one way to do it.

First I was told to only use a brand new one. Trying to re-use an old one often results in it coming off sooner rather than later.
Like many other parts, the one you get from WN is an actual BMW piece:

IMG_9976.jpg

Study the profile of the trim and that of the body work onto which it will go carefully so you understand what needs to happen. Forrest Koogle explains it a bit on this 2002 video:

The first thing to do is to clean and prep the body work around that drip rail. If the car has been repainted, there could be extra thickness of paint, especially at the bottom front and rear. There will also likely be leftover dirt or maybe glue in several areas. You want that entire rail to be real nice and smooth. Those flexible sanding pads from 3M work great for that.

IMG_9931.jpg

Pay special attention to the very front and rear ends of the rail. Usually there is extra thickness of paint or filler there. Clean it, sand it, straighten it, do whatever it takes to make sure it is smooth so that the trim can slide onto it easily.

IMG_9933.jpg

Make sure that the aluminum flat piece that lines the inside opening of the door and rear window is installed first since the drip rail trim needs to go over that. Shot from below looking up towards the top of the front quarter window: The trim is "folded" over the aluminum door inner "lining".

IMG_0065.jpg

There are 2 "lips" of sheet metal that come together under the vertical rail. On my car, these were sometimes nicely tucked together and sometimes pulled apart a bit. No idea why. But someone had added some seam sealer there which ensured to keep them apart. You want to make sure that this filler is first removed and that those two "lips" are tight together. I had to use a hammer to bring the bottom one right up to match the top one. Obviously, you want to do that before you start installing the trim

IMG_9982.jpg IMG_9984.jpg

Start with the front. Start about 3/4 of the way up and then push down gently until the curvature of the trim reaches the level of the curvature of the roof.

IMG_9981.jpg IMG_9932.jpg

Keep twisting the trim so you can push to top part onto the rail first and then push it down and towards the interior to lock it in. Again, refer to that video for the technique. Slowly work your way towards the back

68247127360__95AA7425-3FB6-41D6-8F6C-1BFB6FC3A828.jpg

The most difficult part is definitely the rear end. For some reason, both the trim and the body rail change shape a bit there and it takes a lot of force to coerce the damn thing into place.

68247313499__FDC9CE12-18F8-46A1-909B-C41DA62F8607.jpg IMG_9979.jpg

I had bought the little tool that KoogleWerks sells for this but I had to sand the top part of it quite a bit to thin it and make it work on the coupe (white section in the pic below). It is designed for the 2002 which has much more room on the roof side but it did not work on the coupe at first. I understand it is a copy of the BMW tool. I found it to be useful as a finishing tool but not indispensable.

IMG_0068.jpg IMG_0067.jpg

Good luck

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here is one way to do it.

First I was told to only use a brand new one. Trying to re-use an old one often results in it coming off sooner rather than later.
Like many other parts, the one you get from WN is an actual BMW piece:

View attachment 147072

Study the profile of the trim and that of the body work onto which it will go carefully so you understand what needs to happen. Forrest Koogle explains it a bit on this 2002 video:

The first thing to do is to clean and prep the body work around that drip rail. If the car has been repainted, there could be extra thickness of paint, especially at the bottom front and rear. There will also likely be leftover dirt or maybe glue in several areas. You want that entire rail to be real nice and smooth. Those flexible sanding pads from 3M work great for that.

View attachment 147074

Pay special attention to the very front and rear ends of the rail. Usually there is extra thickness of paint or filler there. Clean it, sand it, straighten it, do whatever it takes to make sure it is smooth so that the trim can slide onto it easily.

View attachment 147079

Make sure that the aluminum flat piece that lines the inside opening of the door and rear window is installed first since the drip rail trim needs to go over that. Shot from below looking up towards the top of the front quarter window: The trim is "folded" over the aluminum door inner "lining".

View attachment 147086

There are 2 "lips" of sheet metal that come together under the vertical rail. On my car, these were sometimes nicely tucked together and sometimes pulled apart a bit. No idea why. But someone had added some seam sealer there which ensured to keep them apart. You want to make sure that this filler is first removed and that those two "lips" are tight together. I had to use a hammer to bring the bottom one right up to match the top one. Obviously, you want to do that before you start installing the trim

View attachment 147076 View attachment 147078

Start with the front. Start about 3/4 of the way up and then push down gently until the curvature of the trim reaches the level of the curvature of the roof.

View attachment 147073 View attachment 147080

Keep twisting the trim so you can push to top part onto the rail first and then push it down and towards the interior to lock it in. Again, refer to that video for the technique. Slowly work your way towards the back

View attachment 147081

The most difficult part is definitely the rear end. For some reason, both the trim and the body rail change shape a bit there and it takes a lot of force to coerce the damn thing into place.

View attachment 147085 View attachment 147084

I had bought the little tool that KoogleWerks sells for this but I had to sand the top part of it quite a bit to thin it and make it work on the coupe (white section in the pic below). It is designed for the 2002 which has much more room on the roof side but it did not work on the coupe at first. I understand it is a copy of the BMW tool. I found it to be useful as a finishing tool but not indispensable.

View attachment 147082 View attachment 147083

Good luck
Hello, and thank you for all of this please help me to fined the tools for gutter molding installation I can not fined the tools

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My son bought a wooden tool especially for installing the drip molding. It is made for a 2002 but worked on my Son's 2000CS. I can find out where he bought it and I am almost positive it was under $20.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My son bought a wooden tool especially for installing the drip molding. It is made for a 2002 but worked on my Son's 2000CS. I can find out where he bought it and I am almost positive it was under $20.
Is it the same as the one in the last 2 pics?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well done,
my experience is just the contrary, started from rear end and made my way to the front end, no tool, good result
I was wondering if that might be a better way. Especially because that last little curve is so difficult to get right. In the end I started with the front just because it was easy to slide down the portion on the A pillar. But now that you mention it, I think I would do the back first next time.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Problem with re-use is simple, you rotate it to remove it so you have to get that rotation out of it when replacing it, otherwise it pops off.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
what i did was start at the front and "ROLL it on -it will snap into place work your way back until you get to the
far rearest rdge
then i used a towell and tapped the back edge onto the lip - it snapped right on

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was wondering if that might be a better way. Especially because that last little curve is so difficult to get right. In the end I started with the front just because it was easy to slide down the portion on the A pillar. But now that you mention it, I think I would do the back first next time.

to my inexperienced eye the proper way would be it, as the rear end is a fixed point while the front one is more flexible,
it is like sewing, you start from the fixed point and you assume the errors through the length of the part, fabric is more flexible, but shaped aluminium could also give you some stretching or elongation, those errors evolve in the length, and it is nearly a 2meter long part