Interesting but I think I will keep mine.

It’s an interesting design study for sure. The biggest shame is that bmw (and pretty much all auto manufacturers) have consistently lost sight of what it’s like to drive/ride in a vehicle where you can see and connect with the outside environment you are passing through. The window area has continued to shrink to alarming “slits” of vision. I can only imagine how vomitous a ride it would be driving through the alps in the back of this car. I’m disappointed to see the master of glass follow suit with all others. Bmw has lost sight of what made our iconic cars such great drivers, a view. I’m happy for new designers to come drive my 2002, e9 or my e28 in hopes that they might realize just how great it is to drive connected to the environment.

Furthermore, I feel the engineers have let us down as well. Modern materials and design methods should stretch the envelope of design capacity. Engineers should be able to make window areas larger without sacrificing structural rigidity. However, we’ve seen rigidity take precedence over design. Engineering is supposed to make radical design more capable. I challenge them to show us what they’re really capable of by making a back seat worthy of a trip though a beautiful place

I'm expecting being younger than You Guys but I see the same as my colleagues.

Not sure how it will look like in US but in EU there is a plan for no deaths in car accidents. It is obvious the only way to approach this is to make cars autonomous.

So there is no design need in the future to increase the glass area as long as it will not be in line with design or body rigidity (NCAP crash test rating).

It is even more

Modern cars will be more independent spaceships than vehicles.

According to law combustion engine production will be stopped by PSA (Stellantis) but not only about 2035.

For electric cars there is a reuse percentage requirement coming up, to minimize CO2 footprint.

Car prices jumped Y2Y over 10%. This year is expected over 20% more. New cars as we know today will be only for companies (rental), government, authorities and extremely rich people. After few years of usage they will be back into OEM services for refurbishment and sold or borrow to lower levels of citizens.

Car sharing is expected to be leading service in all biggest cities.

So in summary for most, the shape of the car of the future really is for design/look only as minority will be able to use them. That is why combustion engined Porsches which are even not produced are classic cars and people will wait over 2 years from now to get them. These have become investment good already being even in factories today.

Design? Not for massive use. Just to fit by design into corporate buildings they will be parked by.

I wish these prognosis is completely out of reality.

I find it an attractive design. Perhaps an impractical one, but still attractive.

But I see absolutely no e9 DNA in it. In what way is it a "CS Homage", other than for marketing reasons?

Back