Interesting "individual" 3.0 CSL with BMW sunroof

wsk

Reaction score
Merry Christmas Henric, nice to hear from you again! So many interesting questions, as always... I am particularly curious about the aluminum vs. steel boot lid. I have a suspicion that the requirement for a steel part on Bats only came about with the later 3-legged wing, as there is no real problem supporting a two-legged wing with an aluminum lid (the aerodynamic load is transferred quite directly into the main bodywork). We restored the Martini CSL (two legged wing) with a steel lid but I wonder if aluminum would have been the correct choice.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello Henric,

Always interesting reading your posts sir and thank you for sharing.

I hope I am not being rude in sharing my thoughts, they are my thoughts alone.

I do have to wonder about these sunroofs on CSL's. Like Gerrit and I know you sir, it would be nice to have something definitive. The problem is trying to prove something "never happened" is impossible, but it should be a little, only a little :) easier to prove it did happen, shouldn't it? Especially if a few cars were done.

The gauge of the metal has already been mentioned and I hear your comments, but I still worry about that, after not only owning many many CSL's, but also fitting a new CSL roof on one that had had a sunroof fitted.

The roof lining material is probably correct as you mention, but that can also be explained many ways.....removing and re-triming - maybe, if the sunroof was fitted in early life, material was available and even as they got to become old and not valuable cars, some roof linings were removed from destroyed cars or cars the became race cars. I am not saying thats the case here, but it could explain original roof lining.

I am certainly not asking you to do this, but on the CSL I owned with a sunroof, when taken apart it was easy to see this was an amateur job ( yes, I wish I had taken pictures in the day). But if somebody has a CSL with a sunroof and they are ever thinking of painting it or doing any work around the sunroof, it would be nice to see that area apart and maybe, just maybe it will give a few more answers for us inquisitive types.

We can all certainly speculate over what might and might not have happened, but my gut reaction is (which may be proved wrong in the future), is it seems very diligent people like yourself have been looking long and hard for an answer on the sunroof issue. These "special orders" would have been done by a group of people and even with the fast changing racing cars and ever changing colors and ownership on the cars after their main racing days, we have some great minds who have gathered serious knowledge of that era from people who were there. Surely somewhere there was/is somebody who worked on these cars and could confirm this issue?.........maybe not.

I remember the 70s and how we all wanted sunroofs in cars, dealers fitting them to make a sale makes sense to me. But, as a factory supplied item, I struggle. Unless somebody shows one BMW AG document and or the original invoice of the car ... clearly telling it has been ordered new with a sunroof, then I have to doubt any CSL's came with a sunroof.

Merry Christmas to everybody as well

Last edited: