Interesting Jalopnik article on “Oil” rust proofing

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I like the idea of an oil undercoating to prevent rust. I’ve seen guys use chain saw oil. Key is that it thickens after it’s applied so it won’t easily wash off. The article describes how the oil goes on hot and thickens as it cools And they recommend annual application. One of their claimed side benefits is that it lubricates moving parts.
Wonder if my windows will be faster it it’s sprayed in my doors? o_O
Anyway it’s an interesting process and seems preferable to the spray on tar-like undercoating.

Is Krown a regional or local company? Sounds like a very similar product to Waxoyl which has service centers across the NE/MW, but it's easy to apply from a kit.

One of my first British cars was a BJ8 Healey that had been treated with Waxoyl, which impressed me compared to Zeibart's heavy coatings. I've used it on three restorations (most recently on our VW bus) and it's easy to apply. Some cavities will need to have holes drilled for access, but it's worth it IMHO. Every inch of our 280SL was done, used a dozen or so plastic plugs.

I restored an older 69 2002 a number of years ago and the older body man who did all the metal work talked me into using diff oil , poured it along the top of the inside of the outer skin so it would drain down and out the weep holes, did the same everywhere else that we could a way to get the oil in Let it all drain down for a couple of days, cleaned up what leaked out. Kept the rust away for years but then I gave it up and not sure how it is 15 more years old we used diff oil because it has an anti rusting inhibitor in it and it is thick

I have used cans of Fluid Film. It is a lanolin based wool wax product used for decades for corrosion control. There are many choices in this area, many opinions, but I like it because it is very user friendly. You can purchase a spray can off the shelf for $10-$15. Then a tube with a 360 degree nozzle on the end and a fitting that replaces the spray nozzle on the can, off of eBay, that you attach to the Fluid Film can, then insert the hose into your rocker panel or chassis access holes, all the way, spray and pull the hose back out while applying a water-displacing, neutral smelling, protectant into the vulnerable areas of your car, simply and economically. No compressor needed, no application gun, special fittings, masks, or even a visit to a "service centre" where you have to make an appointment, and worse yet, leave your car! :( This works for me.:cool:

Is Krown a regional or local company? Sounds like a very similar product to Waxoyl which has service centers across the NE/MW, but it's easy to apply from a kit.

One of my first British cars was a BJ8 Healey that had been treated with Waxoyl, which impressed me compared to Zeibart's heavy coatings. I've used it on three restorations (most recently on our VW bus) and it's easy to apply. Some cavities will need to have holes drilled for access, but it's worth it IMHO. Every inch of our 280SL was done, used a dozen or so plastic plugs.
Krown is a National Canadian franchise operation. It is similar to another business called Rust Check. I have been getting my daily car Krowned yearly for at least 30 years now. It is a light oily mist they spray in the body cavities that creeps everywhere it can reach. It goes in as a Fog.The bottom and engine bay are covered completely. It protects the wiring connectors and also keeps stuff lubed inside the doors. The formula they use is vegetable oil based. In the spring I have my car de salted with a chemical spray underneath at Krown as well. On our roads they are spraying a sticky salt solution that really attacks brake lines. My 07 Sube lives outdoors, gets treated pretty rough and now has 315,000 KM on it. Any that weren't Krowned are now rusted out in the rear fender and rocker. I think this would be the best approach to E9 corrosion control beacuse of the creeping action. Ziebart went broke in Canada because no one undercoats a car if they want long lasting results. You have to do the yearly application. Spring is now the time I get mine done, as that is when cars up here rust the most. For my use....this is the best car ever made!!
tempImageDBzrhs.jpg

Last edited:
Back