"Investment" Opportunity

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score

I'm definitely a capitalist, but when this arrived in my mail it did not appeal at all. Instead, it pissed me off. ROI on a Volvo 122? Really?
We all know that the car enthusiast hobby has grown out of reach for many because these things are increasingly considered investment assets.
But I never bought a piece of art, or a car, or anything with that in mind... am I foolish, outta touch, or stupid?

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
People will buy and sell anything if they think there is a profit. Look at cryptocurrency. Literally nothing at all except a consensus of what the current value is. At least a Volvo is a physical object with some inherent value, though like art, the value quickly gets into the 'what the buyer will pay' range when you are pimping it as an investment. Yes, these sorts of things are not for me.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
how ridiculous is that.... but then again , i suppose they invent always something new to ripp you of with %'s.....

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
If Barnum Bailey was right, then there will always be people pumping any and everything as the next rage in collectibles. There's a sucker born every minute.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
People will buy and sell anything if they think there is a profit. Look at cryptocurrency. Literally nothing at all except a consensus of what the current value is. At least a Volvo is a physical object with some inherent value, though like art, the value quickly gets into the 'what the buyer will pay' range when you are pimping it as an investment. Yes, these sorts of things are not for me.
That pretty much describes all "investments". Stock, bonds, commodity futures, puts...even real estate and gold. Bluechip Car isn't for me, but it would be interesting to see actual historical returns to actual Bluechip Car (the company) investors.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's too complicated and has a "risky" scam-like feeling to it to be successful. IMO of course. Would you give this place the title to your coupe to hold in escrow? The eBay and BaT models are best since they just specialize in getting the buyer and seller together and take a fee for doing that.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
flip, hold, no matter how you spell them they are CRASS! And to Dick's list I would add tulips and matches. Look up Ivar Krueger. Interesting scam artist who built an empire on matches. Of course it soon crashed and burned. Couldn't resist.

GPD

Greg
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It is funny this just came up. I was talking to a friend the other day here in town, on the edge of civilization, who was telling how he would tour the garages of folks in this community back when a “blue chip” car was a tax write off. Apparently there are a number of garages full of, not bitcoin mines, but rare and exotic cars. Uncle Sam never saw it coming.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
It is funny this just came up. I was talking to a friend the other day here in town, on the edge of civilization, who was telling how he would tour the garages of folks in this community back when a “blue chip” car was a tax write off. Apparently there are a number of garages full of, not bitcoin mines, but rare and exotic cars. Uncle Sam never saw it coming.
For the most part, cars ceased to be tax write off in 1984.

I recall having a discussion with some other car enthusiasts about the notion of fractional interests in a pool of cars. This model has been around for a long time for race horses, and is not as far fetched as it may initially seem. In theory, this type of investment structure could be profitable if you had the right people. You just need to find good people to buy, restore, store, maintain and sell the cars, along with people to manage the real estate that will house the cars and finance people to deal with investors, bankers, insurance companies, inventory records of both cars and parts, financial reporting to the owners and bankers, taxes and whatnot.

Should be easy to put a group of folks together that is good at all these things, right?