It's a Tii - Copart San Jose...Bummer

That was fast. Owner posted on The Vintage Facebook group. Looks like the crash happened a week ago Saturday. Rear-ended by a 2001 Civic on the 101.

Converted into a Touring...
Looks great but a reminder that 74 bumpers can help only so much.

That was fast.
Insurance companies have contracts with Copart (and IAA) for storage, and since they cars get auctioned off most of the time it's a one time tow and done. When a car arrives at Copart they do their check-in process for every car whether it gets auctioned or not (they don't know at that point). That auction says "Upcoming lot" without an auction date, so if the owner decides to retain the vehicle it will get removed from their site, like what happened to the 2002 Turbo in Florida.

But why would the owner let the car be towed to an outdoor lot outside his control if he intends to retain and repair the vehicle? I would tow it to my body shop and have the adjuster come there and start the insurance battle from there.

But why would the owner let the car be towed to an outdoor lot outside his control if he intends to retain and repair the vehicle? I would tow it to my body shop and have the adjuster come there and start the insurance battle from there.
Everything is simple and clear when you're not in the middle of a hard impact accident with expected chaos. It happened on a Saturday. Most body shops aren't open so cars get taken to tow yards. Personally, I'd rather it go to Copart than a random tow yard, even though tow yards are suppose to follow strict security guidelines. Regardless of where it gets towed, you never really know how secure it is. Sometimes you just don't think about that stuff in the moment.

The intact front windshield suggests he was wearing his seatbelt, hopefully the owner is ok.

The intact front windshield suggests he was wearing his seatbelt, hopefully the owner is ok.
Looks like he has good seats. I'm sure they helped. That car is fixable. It would be a lot less work to do a rear clip than to restore a car like that.

Back