Jay Leno Injured in Garage Fire

I had a chance to work with Jay for 3 days several years ago. Super nice guy, down to earth and a real car guy.

Unfortunately any hobby that involves dealing with parts that are inherently stronger then human parts does carry the risk of you losing a fight at some point. Don’t ask me how I know.

That’s why sometimes, stamp collecting does not seem like such a dumb idea after all…

Last edited:
There but for the grace of god as they say...

A year ago I pulled my 15kw generator out to see if it would start. I bought a new battery and pushed the start button...just the slightest turn of the crank. That was odd, it acted like it was seized, but I knew that couldnt be the case, so I pulled both plugs and hit the starter...I was immediately doused with gasoline. Apparently the needle had stuck open and was allowing fuel to fill the cylinders as it sat.

If there had been a spark at the same time as the expulsion of the gasoline I would have a very different outcome.

I just read an update and his burns are rated as severe second degree burns maybe edging into 3rd degree in some spots. He had a surgery to clean the burned tissue and apply some skin grafts. Those grafts will be replaced with a fresh grafts as the flesh below heals. He has had hyperbaric treatment with higher oxygen content air under pressure to promote healing.
Good thing he didn't inhale fire and damage his lungs.
I wish him well. I've managed to avoid being burned by gasoline, but have lost some hair a time or two.

Yes, not fun. I read the car was a 1903 model I think.
I read he is in good spirits, and I do not mean petroleum spirits.

I just read an update and his burns are rated as severe second degree burns maybe edging into 3rd degree in some spots. He had a surgery to clean the burned tissue and apply some skin grafts. Those grafts will be replaced with a fresh grafts as the flesh below heals. He has had hyperbaric treatment with higher oxygen content air under pressure to promote healing.
Good thing he didn't inhale fire and damage his lungs.
I wish him well. I've managed to avoid being burned by gasoline, but have lost some hair a time or two.
I was doing some work in my garage late one evening on my 1974 Triumph Stag ,
She has had a conversion to run a Rover v8 instead of the original triumph engine.
The conversion was done by a previous owner and not by me !

Anyway I had the engine running and I could hear a kind of strange hissing sound from the engine bay
I opened the bonnet and for a while couldn’t find where the sound was coming from .
Triumph stags are known for overheating, so I was looking for a coolant leak.
After much poking about I spotted what was causing it.
The twin SU carburettors have a float bowl each and inside there is a needle valve which is supposed to stop the flow of fuel once the float bowl is full.
Then as an extra safety measure the SU’s have an overflow port at the top of the bowl which has a hose going out and down to the ground below the engine bay, just in case the needle valve gets stuck open any extra fuel is dumped away from any heat source or source of ignition etc etc.
The guy who installed my engine decided to cut those hoses just above where the 4 into 1 tubular exhaust manifolds joined into a collector.
The hissing sound was petrol dropping onto the exhaust and boiling off .
I quickly turned off the car and basically ran out of the garage .
Thankfully nothing happened, but it definitely gave me a fright as it could have ended very badly.
The very very next job was obviously to re route the hose’s and fit new floats and needle valves to my carburettors.

Obviously, his treatment will go on for a while, but I'm glad to hear he's home for Thanksgiving.

Just saw an update on Jay's injuries on the news with a photo with him & his doctors. Seems most of the burn injuries are to his left hand, arm, neck & a little on his face. Doctors commented he's a model patient, in good spirits & has responded well to his treatment over the past 10 days. Sounds like Jay is being Jay.

Back