Just when I thought I was out....they (E9's) pull me back in

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
after a 5 year hiatus I have decided I could no longer do with out owning one of these pieces of art.
I am sure I will be back to asking novice questions and looking for technical advice.
Excited to own this car!

Attachments

• IMG_2266.JPG
    IMG_2266.JPG
    364.9 KB · Views: 323

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yep. It was well worth the trip from portland to long beach in order complete the inspection and purchase.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
after a 5 year hiatus I have decided I could no longer do with out owning one of these pieces of art.
I am sure I will be back to asking novice questions and looking for technical advice.
Excited to own this car!
Yep, I know the feeling. I just got back into 2002 ownership (yesterday) after 11 years. I’ve owned 5 previously. (my first was in 1979) I’ll be thinning the herd down to the e9 and 02. Both are keepers.
Welcome Back!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Gordon -- Glad you came to your senses!

As to questions, don't worry about the novice thing. We were all novices at one time and many of us want to pay it forward as a mechanism to express our gratitude for all the help we received here.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I love that car! I like the matte black with CK wheels. It wouldn't be my first choice if I were painting, but if well bought, as it appears yours is, I'd enjoiy driving it that way for a good while. I had a matte black motorcycle for a bit. It is great at minimizing body imperfections, but I was surprised at how much dust it collected. Makes obvious sense now, but I somehow deluded myself into thinking it was impervious. o_O

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was immediately drawn to the matte black. It was actually painted black but the paint was cracking. The previous owner took scotch bright and ajax to the entire body. On the edges to see the grey primer showing through. I think it looks like an e9 ratrod.
I have already ordered an alpina airdam and will likely rattle can it with primer and black paint then use the same technique to match it to the rest of the body.
Will keep it like this for the next few years.
Currently the car is in transit with the shippers. When I get the air dam and front bumper back on I will take more pictures.
Thanks for the positive feedback.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Remember that fiberglass requires some flex agent to avoid paint cracking.

Now get some chrome hood and fender vents!

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stan, not orange in the engine bay. Car was originally Nachtblau.

Rob,
For painting the airdam. Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it. I was looking for a spray paint that might be prepared for going on fiberglass.
Any ideas?

I agree, chrome on the
Hood and fender vents would be nice.
Can I effectively spray paint these also?
This might not look so great.
I will go to a local chrome shop and see if they can do it at reasonable cost.

Will be at least 3-5 years until I decide to possibly go back to it's original Nachtblau.
Want to make some changes to the look that I will be happy with for a while.