Key Advice

michael

Site Donor
Reaction score
After reading the post about the lost key, I'd thought I'd offer my recommendations regarding Pebra keys.

Santa Monica Lock and Safe will produce duplicate keys. What I found out years ago is that they are able to cut a new key w/o having the original. Pebra keys work in conjunction with a ball bearing tumbler and there are only 3 sizes of ball bearings within the tumbler, which makes it quite easy for the key cutter to cut keys w/o the original.

All one needs to do is keep a Xerox copy of the key(s) for your coupe. This way you will always have a record of the key(s) an easily have a duplicate produced, from those copies.

Myself, I keep a spare key (both main and valet) as well as a copy of both keys in my car file.

PS: While I'm at it......do not keep tools in the toolkits. The weight of the tools along with the britttleness of 30+ y/o plastic leads to failure. Keep your tools in a pouch and place them in the toolkit if your showing the car.

New key

Just recieved a new key from Mike Howell @ Santa
Monica Lock & Safe. Works great. They made it
from a scan that I emailed to them.

One issue: When I bought the car it only had 1 key.
I just checked with the new key and it fits the trunk,
pass. door, glove box and ignition.
NOT the drivers door. Obviously been changed.

Mike can re-key the drivers lock, but, is there
a write up on how to remove the lock? Should be
like other BMW's ???

Was there a main key and a valet key in the
beginning?

Thanks,

The car came with a Valet key which would not open the trunk or glove. It usually had one indent missing. My valet key is long gone - it may be possible to look up the number somewhere (BMW).

You might consider swapping the driver and passenger door lock mechanisms. It does require opening up the door but the mechanism is basically held in by one large nut (after removing the linkage. Once you pull them out you need to pop off the outer snap ring and you can rotate the mechanisms 180 degrees so that they work on the other side (I did this to put a mangled mechanism to the passenger side until I get around to fixing it correctly).

Does Santa Monica Lock and Safe have the "raw" Pebra keys? or do I have to get that on Ebay?
Has anyone got their telephone number so that I can talk to them and pay via my VISA over the phone?
I had a new key made by BMW in Munich (through my local dealer) for my CSL, using the VIN, but when I wanted the same thing done for a CSi, they told me that Munich had no record of the VIN for my CSi!?!?
Strange but true, esp as I had Mobile Tradition confirm production and delivery dates as well as colour and original dispatch to BMW in Italy.

Back