Key barrel removal (no key)

Reaction score
So I'm in the middle of a restoration of my newly acquired e9. However the previous owner didn't have any keys for it and I can't find any in the parts bins I got along with the car.

The vehicle was parked and the steering was locked with the wheels on an angle so maneuvering the vehicle on and off a trailer is quite difficult. Ive managed to remove the locking plate but now I'm stuck. I want to try avoid taking out the 4 headless bolts securing the steering column. Is there any other way around this?

Also, whats the process in obtaining a newly cut key for the existing barrel? I have to remove it in order to get the code correct?

Appreciate any help

Attachments

• 20200701_200340.jpg
    20200701_200340.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 105

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you are lucky there is a key code on the barrel for the doors or boot so you can order a new key.
I used Keys4Classics here in Oz as they have the codes and can make you one without a template.

As an interim fix to move it around the shed you could remove the 4 x bolts that hold the column to the underside of the dash as that will let the thing drop and allow the whole column and shaft assembly to rotate a few more degrees. A bit dodgy but may help. I'm not in front of my coupe right now but don't think there is a way around the headless bolts. You may have to remove the column from the car and cut 4 x slots in the heads of the bolts to allow you to try and unscrew them.

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I'm in the middle of a restoration of my newly acquired e9. However the previous owner didn't have any keys for it and I can't find any in the parts bins I got along with the car.

The vehicle was parked and the steering was locked with the wheels on an angle so maneuvering the vehicle on and off a trailer is quite difficult. Ive managed to remove the locking plate but now I'm stuck. I want to try avoid taking out the 4 headless bolts securing the steering column. Is there any other way around this?

Also, whats the process in obtaining a newly cut key for the existing barrel? I have to remove it in order to get the code correct?

Appreciate any help
The code is more easily read from the trunk lock. And Mike at Santa Monica locksmith can make you a key from the code.

Calling there is best.

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, Santa Monica! Mike says his son loves these challenges.
I would add to pull more than one lock as over the years, a lock or two may have been switched out as was my case. Left lock and ignition, one key, all others another key.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not sure but if the barrel locks in the same way as a 2002 then it can be removed by drilling or (preferably) inserting a small screw into the barrel lock pin and pulling it out which frees up the cylinder. Once pulled out you can use a screwdriver to move the steering lock slide to the right and release the wheel. I just did this on an 02 but not sure if applicable here, perhaps an expert can chime in.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not sure but if the barrel locks in the same way as a 2002 then it can be removed by drilling or (preferably) inserting a small screw into the barrel lock pin and pulling it out which frees up the cylinder. Once pulled out you can use a screwdriver to move the steering lock slide to the right and release the wheel. I just did this on an 02 but not sure if applicable here, perhaps an expert can chime in.

I'm assuming it was your 2002 and @JayWltrs doesn't have to attend your bail hearing :D

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just had Mike make two keys from code for a gentleman in Sussex. Mike sent them to me and I mailed them to Sussex. The guy was elated!

Reaction score
Reaction score
If you are lucky there is a key code on the barrel for the doors or boot so you can order a new key.
I used Keys4Classics here in Oz as they have the codes and can make you one without a template.

As an interim fix to move it around the shed you could remove the 4 x bolts that hold the column to the underside of the dash as that will let the thing drop and allow the whole column and shaft assembly to rotate a few more degrees. A bit dodgy but may help. I'm not in front of my coupe right now but don't think there is a way around the headless bolts. You may have to remove the column from the car and cut 4 x slots in the heads of the bolts to allow you to try and unscrew them.

From what I could tell this is my only route for the time being. Once the column is dropped will I be able to pull the barrel out? Again, I don't have any other door locks to base a code off of. Not looking forward to these headless bolts... one was fun enough :/

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Drop the column via the 4 x bolts holding it to the dash.
Also remove the switch that goes into the back of the key barrel - there's a grub screw.
Then unbolt the shaft at the flange joint.
Once the column is out of the car you can notch the headless bolts and remove the key barrel. It's far easier out of the car.
You can then re-assemble minus the key barrel but you will have to start the car via inserting a flat screw driver into the notch on the electrical switch.
If you are missing the other locks then just source an entire new set.

In the event you get lost along the way can help with some pictures. There may even be a thread on here for how to go about it.
Hope this helps.

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Headless bolts... I have not seen these but sounds about right for germans… ;)
The ignition tumbler is held in with a tiny straight slot set screw (careful its easy to strip the head).

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are you saying there are no other locks in the car? All the locks have the key code written on them. I would say, if you do have another lock, wait and get a key, have patience until it arrives and hopefully you can avoid the dissection of your column.